1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady Periodic Oscillation

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    I have a homework problem that I need to use the steady periodic oscillation to solve, so instead of having help on the problem I'd rather just understand how they did it then apply it to my homework (I think that's alright?)

I'm kind of wondering where my book gets this from: $$x_{sp}(t)=5cos4t+4sin4t=\sqrt{41}\left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}cos4t+\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}sin4t \right)=\sqrt{41}cos(4t-\alpha)$$
    Honestly, I have no idea where they even get the square root of 41 either..

I feel like it's some trig substitution, identity, etc. that I'm forgetting, but I cant figure it out

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a standard technique. You divide and multiply by ##\sqrt{5^2+4^2}##. That makes the sum of the squares of the new coefficients = 1. So you can think of ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\cos(\alpha)## and ##\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\sin(\alpha)## and you have an addition formula. You can draw a little right triangle with legs 4 and 5 to see ##\alpha##.

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    OK that makes sense, but then where do they get the ##\sqrt{41}cos(4t-\alpha)##?

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Put ##\cos(\alpha)## and ##\sin(\alpha)## in for those two fractions and use the addition formula.

6. Nov 21, 2013 #5
    Ah I see now.. ##cos(\alpha)cos(4t)+sin(\alpha)sin(4t)=cos(\alpha-4t)## from the trig addition formulas.

One more question, I'm not sure if you'll know it, but might as well ask... For a forced oscillation, the motion is stated as ##x(t)=x_{tr}(t)+x_{sp}(t)##. In the differential equation how do you know what is the ##x_{sp}(t)## or ##x_{tr}(t)##?
    The book states that the transient motion and the steady periodic oscillation of the mass are given by ##x_{sp}(t)##, but I don't even understand what they are trying to say.

Thanks!

7. Nov 22, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If your solution looks something like x(t) = cos(at) + e-3tsin(at), the steady-state part is the first term; the transient part is the decaying exponential term, so called because it drops off to zero after a short time.

8. Nov 22, 2013 #7
    Ahh I see now. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted