1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady state solution

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Steady state solution

I was wondering if I did this question correctly, solving for y(t) and putting t = infinity to get a steady state solution. Or is this wrong or is there an alternative way that is much quicker (as solving for y(t) would take a page of working, where the working out on the exam paper was less then half a page)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A continuous linear time invariant system with input x(t) and output y(t) related by:

y''(t) + y'(t) - 2y(t) = x(t)

Find the stead state output of the system for x(t) = 2cos(t) + sin(200t)

3. The attempt at a solution

Initially used laplace transform to get Y(s) and inverse transform and put t = infinity to see what part died out over time (transient reponse), however it did not seem correct (used mathematica to double check) as I got a e^t term.

Using ODE solving methods with characteristic equation r^2 + r - 2 = 0, I solved initially the homogeneous solution which had a Ce^t term and got a similar total solution to when using laplace transforms.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    I haven't tried but you may want to assume y = a*cos(t)+b*sin(t)+c*sin(200t)+d*cos(200t) or something like that.
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the solution has a e^t part, as you might expect since 1 is a root of the characteristic equation. You aren't making any mistakes. I would say that means the system is unstable to runaway solution, but I'm not sure what to do in your context. Do you just ignore it by setting the coefficient=0?
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the characteristic equation r2+ r- 2= (r+ 2)(r-1) has solutions 1 and -2. In order to have a "steady state solution", you cannot have unbounded solutions. Take the "C" in "Cet" to be 0. Then the other solution, De-2t goes to 0. Your steady state solution is just the specific solution corresponding to y = a*cos(t)+b*sin(t)+c*sin(200t)+d*cos(200t).
  6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the replies.

I see how it works when using ODE methods now. Just a final question, how do you do this with laplace transforms.

I got:
    Y(s)(s^2 + s - 2) = (2s/(1 + s^2) + 200/(40000 + s^2))

This was taking to long to evaluate by hand so I used mathematica, and the e^x term had a coefficient of 40201/120003. How can laplace transforms used to make this coefficient zero ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?