1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady-State Temperature: Fourier Transform

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the steady-state temperature in a semi-infinite plate covering the region x>0, 0≤y≤1,if the edges along the x axis and y axis are insulated and the top edge is held at
    gif.latex?u(x,1)=\left\{\begin{matrix}100,%20&%200%3Cx%3C1\\0,%20&%20x%3E1%20\end{matrix}\right..gif

Hint: Look for a solution as a Fourier integral.

2. Relevant equations
    gif.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I really need help with is how to set up the integral for u. I know the rough form of it from equations in the book, but they are for very different problems. Usually, the semi-infinite plate covers the entire first quadrant (infinite in positive x and y) but here, it ends abruptly at y=1. I tried,
    [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?u=\begin{Bmatrix}%20e^{-kx}\\e^{kx}%20\end{Bmatrix}%20\begin{Bmatrix}%20sinky\\cosky%20\end{Bmatrix}[/URL]
    And eliminated the ekx solution, since u should not be infinite as x-->∞. I wasn't sure what trig function to use, and furthermore, when I tried to plug in my initial condition for u(x,1), I got a strange looking integral,
    [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\int_{0}^{\infty%20}B(k)e^{-kx}sinkdk[/URL]
    Which didn't seem to be correct or helpful at all. How do I get something which I could use as a Fourier integral pair? Also, I am clueless as to how the insulated sides factor in.

If anyone could show me how to get the correct integral for u(x,y), I know I can finish the rest of the problem, but this is just unlike any example in the book; usually the edge with the piecewise boundary condition is perpendicular to the axis in which the block goes to infinity, not parallel it. I feel like that's really throwing me off.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?