Choosing the Right Compressor for Low Pressure Steam Applications

• Thread starter ericksonla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of compressors and vacuum pumps for low pressure steam at lab scale. The speaker is interested in a mechanical vapor compression system, specifically using centrifugal compressors. They mention the required specifications for the process and ask for recommendations on suitable compressors for steam. Another participant mentions the need for a secondary heat exchanger to condense steam before entering the vacuum pump to avoid potential issues. Finally, someone asks for suggestions for suppliers of low pressure steam compressors or systems.
ericksonla
Does anyone know what types of compressors/vacuum pumps can be used with low pressure steam at lab scale?

I'm interested in a mechanical vapor compression system like this one used for large scale desalination and industrial processes. I think these use centrifugal compressors but I know those don't scale down well.

For a ballpark sense of scale, I think the process would need something like:
inlet : 9 psi/0.6 bar, 100°C
outlet: 15 psi/1 bar, whatever superheated temp comes out
flow rate: 100 CFM

In the big picture, what characteristics make a compressor suitable for steam? eg, I suspect I should avoid cast iron or plastic but could I just use any compressor that was designed for R134a and fits the other requirements?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ericksonla, this topic is of interest to me. Presently, I am preparing to carry-out some experiments with low pressure steam in a lab-scale air-cooled condenser. I have the option of using a liquid ring vacuum pump or a rotary vane vacuum pump. I am not sure which one is more suitable so I would be interested to hear what others recommend on this thread. However, one thing I have learned from experience with steam is that some sort of secondary heat exchanger should be present upstream of the vacuum pump to condense steam that is about to enter the pump. Condensing the steam at this point prevents it entering the pump which could otherwise lead to issues such as cavitation. I am not sure of your set-up so maybe you don't need something like this.

Can anybody here give me names of suppliers of low pressure steam compressor? I need a steam compressor or steam compressor system that can compress low pressure (2.56 kPa) to 1 bar and above?

1. What is a steam compressor/vacuum pump?

A steam compressor/vacuum pump is a type of mechanical device that is used to compress and move steam or gases, as well as create a vacuum by removing air or other gases from a confined space. It is commonly used in industrial applications such as power plants, chemical plants, and refineries.

2. How does a steam compressor/vacuum pump work?

A steam compressor/vacuum pump works by using a rotating impeller or a set of rotating blades to increase the velocity and pressure of the steam or gas. This compressed steam or gas is then directed into a diffuser, which slows down the flow and converts the kinetic energy into pressure energy. The resulting pressure can then be used to power various processes or create a vacuum by removing air from a chamber.

3. What are the benefits of using a steam compressor/vacuum pump?

There are several benefits to using a steam compressor/vacuum pump. Firstly, it can increase the efficiency of industrial processes by providing a source of compressed steam or gas. It can also help in creating a vacuum, which is essential in many industrial processes such as distillation and vacuum drying. Additionally, these pumps are compact, easy to operate, and require minimal maintenance.

4. What are the different types of steam compressor/vacuum pumps?

There are various types of steam compressor/vacuum pumps, including centrifugal, axial, and reciprocating pumps. Centrifugal pumps use a rotating impeller to move the steam or gas, while axial pumps use a set of rotating blades. Reciprocating pumps, on the other hand, use a piston or diaphragm to create the pressure or vacuum. The type of pump used will depend on the specific application and requirements.

5. How can I maintain a steam compressor/vacuum pump?

To ensure the proper functioning of a steam compressor/vacuum pump, regular maintenance is crucial. This can include checking and replacing any worn or damaged parts, monitoring and adjusting the pressure and temperature, and keeping the pump clean and free from debris. It is also essential to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and procedures to prolong the pump's lifespan and avoid any costly repairs.