1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam Generator Calculations

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    At current I am trying to redesign a steam generator as seen in the picture attached, the requirements for this are as follows:
    · The water contain must have a minimum capacity of 2.25 litres
    · The heat loss as boiling point shall not exceed 75W in ambient of -3 C +/- 1 C
    · The fan shall have a capacity of 0.07 to 0.10m^3/min at 0.5 mbar static pressure
    · Six steam outlets holes shall be positioned at the top of the generator around the perimeter spaced at equal distances
    · The generator should be calibrated at -3 C +/- 1 C to give reading for each 70 +/- 5g/h output up to a maximum of n times this figure where n is the maximum number of seating positions designated by the manufacturer.

Having not studied physics I am struggling to find what calculations would be required in order to calculate the heat loss and therefore cannot try improving it.
    The dimensions for the base are not set and can be altered, only the nozzle and dispersion chamber have set dimensions.

If somebody could point me in the right direction to what equations I will need that would be great,

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Grams? Or, gallons?

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    Sorry, it's grams per hour

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4
    Here's the requirements for the nozzle and chamber too.

Attached Files:

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think this device is a steam generator in the conventional sense, more like a vaporizer or a tea kettle. 70 g an hour is equivalent to converting about 5 tablespoons of water to vapor.

7. Sep 15, 2015 #6
    Yeh that's a problem I've had as regards to research into it, there's not much information on them. I've literally called it that because that's what it is listed as in the guidelines.

Effectively it is just a kettle heating element in an aluminium (Previous machine) casing lined with insulator, with the nozzle, chamber and fan on top.
    I just have little knowledge on what calculations I need to work out the heat loss through it in order to then improve the efficiency for the design as currently the method for this has been just add more insulator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook