Steam Plant Cycle Performance: Analyzing Efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to compare the performance of a steam plant cycle to the ideal Rankine cycle. The shape of the T-S diagram for the actual cycle is affected by factors such as friction and heat loss, which reduce the efficiency of the plant. The differences between the ideal and actual cycles are due to irreversibilities in the expansion of steam and pumping losses. These factors are not included in the thermodynamic cycle diagrams.
mattyboson12
I am doing an experiment to determine the performance of a steam plant cycle and analyse it in comparison with the ideal rankine cycle.

I have a sketch of the actual and real T-S diagram for the steam plant (See attached)

I am unsure what factors cause the change in the shape of the T-S diagram. I understand that friction and heat loss will reduce the efficiency of the plant but how does this affect the shape of the graph?

Attachments

• Rankine cycle.png
    Rankine cycle.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 459
Engineering news on Phys.org
mattyboson12 said:
I am doing an experiment to determine the performance of a steam plant cycle and analyse it in comparison with the ideal rankine cycle.

I have a sketch of the actual and real T-S diagram for the steam plant (See attached)

I am unsure what factors cause the change in the shape of the T-S diagram. I understand that friction and heat loss will reduce the efficiency of the plant but how does this affect the shape of the graph?

In a well-designed and well-maintained plant, friction and heat losses are minimized, but these wouldn't be included in the thermodynamic cycle diagrams anyway.

The chief differences between the ideal Rankine cycle and the actual cycle are due to irreversibilities in the expansion of steam in the turbine and in the pumping losses from getting the condensate returned to the boiler to be turned back into steam. It takes more work to pump the condensate and less work is extracted from the turbine in the actual cycle than the ideal cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_cycle#Real_Rankine_cycle_.28non-ideal.29

1. What is the purpose of analyzing steam plant cycle performance?

The purpose of analyzing steam plant cycle performance is to determine the efficiency of the system and identify any areas for improvement. This analysis involves measuring various parameters such as steam flow, temperature, and pressure at different points in the cycle to calculate the overall efficiency of the plant.

2. What factors affect steam plant cycle efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of a steam plant cycle, including the type and condition of the equipment, fuel quality, and operating conditions. In addition, the design of the plant and its components can also have a significant impact on efficiency.

3. How is steam plant cycle efficiency calculated?

Steam plant cycle efficiency is typically calculated using the heat rate method, which involves comparing the amount of energy input (fuel) to the amount of energy output (electricity). This calculation takes into account various losses in the system, such as heat loss and mechanical losses, to determine the overall efficiency of the cycle.

4. How can the efficiency of a steam plant cycle be improved?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a steam plant cycle, including regular maintenance and tuning of equipment, using high-quality fuel, and optimizing operating conditions. In addition, upgrading to more efficient equipment and technologies can also significantly improve cycle efficiency.

5. Why is steam plant cycle efficiency important?

Steam plant cycle efficiency is important because it directly affects the cost of producing electricity. Higher efficiency means less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of electricity, resulting in cost savings. In addition, improving efficiency can also reduce the environmental impact of the plant by reducing emissions and resource consumption.