1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam plant question.

1. Jan 25, 2015 #1
    Im attempting this question for an evening class im attending. hope im posting in the right place. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong think its where I rearranged my formula to find steam output.

Question attached below

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2
    The work is a bit unclear. I'll get back to you in a day or so.

4. Jan 25, 2015 #3
    Ok Thanks

5. Jan 25, 2015 #4
    I think I calculated the steam output wrong, I have the over all efficiently of the system 77%, what formula do I use the calculate steam output?

Q=M(h2-h1)

6. Jan 25, 2015 #5
    Yeah that's the one..!
    For calculating the steam output, you can directly use the 77% efficiency without involving the economizer and super heater (if I'm not wrong).
    So 77% of the heat obtained from the combustion of coal is used to convert water to steam.

7. Jan 25, 2015 #6
    77% is the overall efficiency am I right ? So did I divide .77 by h2-h1 to get steam output?

8. Jan 26, 2015 #7
    Yes! And equate it with the energy provided by the combustion of coal. Tell me if that gives the right answer.

9. Jan 26, 2015 #8
    6244.09 kg/h

10. Jan 26, 2015 #9
    I meant did you get the right answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted