Design & Theory of Steam Platens for Rubber Curing Presses

In summary, the engineer is looking for information on how to design a steam platens for a rubber curing press. He needs to know the heat transfer coefficients, the required temperature, and the mass flow rate of steam. Additionally, he needs to know about Reynolds number, Prandl number, and heated oil.
sriram123
Hi all,

I'm looking for design of steam platens for Rubber curing presses.The steam platens heat the green rubber article while curing.Other mediums such as oil,induction heating are also available,but I'm more interested in design of steam platens.

There is one patent available in google patents

http://www.google.com/patents/US5173308

I'm doing my second year engineering and I have some basic knowledge in thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.I'm doing an internship and the company wants me to explore this.

What I need to know is how the steam flow path (the width and height) and the pattern of the path is determined.

Any references or some book citation would be of great help...

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
What material are you planning to use and what is the required temperature? Also, is there a source of pressurized steam for use?

The platen material will be cast steel (IS 1030).There will be two plates.A grooved plate and a covered plate.The grooved plate will be having the steam flow path.The cover plate will be welded to the grooved plate so that they form a passage.The steam will have a max. pressure of 14 bar.It will be super heated.

Ok I'll just give you an idea on how to do it..

Heat will be transferred to the platen surface from the steam initially by convection and then conduction. Knowing the heat transfer coefficients, the required temperature and the mass flow rate of steam, you'll have to design the width of the grooves and the thickness of the plate. The plate of importance is the one one which is used in rubber curing.

I think there will be lot of calculations involving Reynolds number, Prandl number, etc. Check out a book on Heat transfer and check forced convection.

Did it help?

You my want to consider heated oil. The injection mould industry has standard heaters configured for this.

With oil you will be dealing with pressures in an uncompressible liquid of a few bar rather than steam at 14 bar - which may be explosive or BLEVE in a catastrophic failure.

1. What is the purpose of steam platens in rubber curing presses?

The steam platens are used to provide uniform and controlled heat to the rubber during the curing process. This ensures that the rubber is cured evenly and at the desired temperature, resulting in high quality and consistent products.

2. What factors should be considered when designing steam platens for rubber curing presses?

Some important factors to consider include the size and shape of the rubber products being cured, the desired curing temperature and time, the type of rubber being used, and the pressure and flow rate of the steam. It is also important to consider the materials and construction of the platens to ensure durability and efficiency.

3. How do steam platens in rubber curing presses work?

The steam platens are heated using steam which is pumped through channels within the platen. This heat is then transferred to the rubber, causing it to cure. The temperature and pressure of the steam can be controlled to achieve the desired curing conditions.

4. What are the benefits of using steam platens in rubber curing presses?

Using steam platens can result in faster and more efficient curing of rubber products, as the heat is evenly distributed and can be controlled precisely. This can lead to improved product quality and increased production rates. Additionally, using steam as a heat source is more environmentally friendly compared to other methods such as using electricity or gas.

5. How can the design and theory of steam platens for rubber curing presses be optimized?

Optimizing the design of steam platens involves considering all the factors mentioned above and finding the most efficient and effective way to incorporate them into the design. This may involve using computer simulations and testing different configurations to find the best solution. Constant monitoring and maintenance of the platens can also help to optimize their performance and longevity.