Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam power generator

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know a suitable engine / turbine / expander that can run under 2 bar (30 PSI) of pressure and generate upto 1 kw power output? Basically a high torque, low pressure.....i have been searching like crazy everywhere, cannot find anything...Also will a manufactured tesla turbine be able to do this? I have access to a mechanical workshop, but if this product is readily available off the shelf it would be nice. Or if any of u guys know of any mods to compressors or anything please share your ideas....

Thank u all

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2
    If you are only going to develop 1KW it probably is not worth while the capital outlay will buy you a great many KW-Hrs from your local electricity supplier.

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    It would need to be piston driven and fairly large. If you are using steam to drive it, do you realize that at that low presure you have very low efficiency? The power from steam comes from the superheat not from vaporizing the water. The more superheat you put in the greater the efficiency.

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4
    im trying to develop a 1 kW on small scale , trying to make it usable in rural areas...where 1 kW does wonders, future large scale implements will b worked on :) what do u guys think about a reciprocating tesla engine?

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5
    chayved buddy, what kind of engine do u have in mind?

7. Dec 17, 2009 #6
    Have you looked into Stirling engines?

8. Dec 18, 2009 #7
    yes buddy, but getting one that fits my specs is tedious

9. Dec 18, 2009 #8
    Where will you be getting the steam from?

10. Dec 18, 2009 #9
    I am gonna be getting it from an evacuated vacuum solar panel in a closed thermosiphon circuit, using a heat exchanger.

11. Dec 18, 2009 #10
    As you are trying to generate electricity I guess that you need a fairly steady speed, otherwise have you considered an atmospheric engine?

12. Dec 18, 2009 #11
    I currently am thinking about a project using a brayton cycle. Seems to be the cheapest/safest option.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook