Top High Torque Low Pressure Steam Power Generators for 1kW Output

In summary, a piston driven tesla turbine might be a good option for generating 1kw of power, but it would likely be less efficient than a more traditional engine.
mickeyt500
Does anyone know a suitable engine / turbine / expander that can run under 2 bar (30 PSI) of pressure and generate upto 1 kw power output? Basically a high torque, low pressure...i have been searching like crazy everywhere, cannot find anything...Also will a manufactured tesla turbine be able to do this? I have access to a mechanical workshop, but if this product is readily available off the shelf it would be nice. Or if any of u guys know of any mods to compressors or anything please share your ideas...

Thank u all

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are only going to develop 1KW it probably is not worth while the capital outlay will buy you a great many KW-Hrs from your local electricity supplier.

It would need to be piston driven and fairly large. If you are using steam to drive it, do you realize that at that low presure you have very low efficiency? The power from steam comes from the superheat not from vaporizing the water. The more superheat you put in the greater the efficiency.

im trying to develop a 1 kW on small scale , trying to make it usable in rural areas...where 1 kW does wonders, future large scale implements will b worked on :) what do u guys think about a reciprocating tesla engine?

chayved buddy, what kind of engine do u have in mind?

Have you looked into Stirling engines?

yes buddy, but getting one that fits my specs is tedious

Where will you be getting the steam from?

I am going to be getting it from an evacuated vacuum solar panel in a closed thermosiphon circuit, using a heat exchanger.

As you are trying to generate electricity I guess that you need a fairly steady speed, otherwise have you considered an atmospheric engine?

I currently am thinking about a project using a brayton cycle. Seems to be the cheapest/safest option.

1. What is a high torque low pressure steam power generator?

A high torque low pressure steam power generator is a device that uses steam to generate mechanical energy, which can then be converted into electricity. It typically consists of a boiler, a steam turbine, and a generator.

2. How much power can a 1kW output steam power generator produce?

A 1kW output steam power generator can produce 1 kilowatt (1000 watts) of electrical power. This can be enough to power small appliances or devices, such as a laptop or a small refrigerator.

3. What are the advantages of using a high torque low pressure steam power generator?

There are several advantages to using a high torque low pressure steam power generator. These include its high efficiency, low maintenance requirements, and its ability to use a variety of fuel sources, such as coal, natural gas, or biomass.

4. Can a high torque low pressure steam power generator be used for residential purposes?

Yes, a high torque low pressure steam power generator can be used for residential purposes. However, it is more commonly used in industrial or commercial settings due to its larger size and power output.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with using a high torque low pressure steam power generator?

While high torque low pressure steam power generators are generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than other forms of power generation, they still emit greenhouse gases and pollutants such as carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide. However, these emissions can be reduced by using cleaner fuel sources or implementing emissions control technologies.