Solving Steam Problems: Calculating Heat Transfer with Thermodynamic Properties

• Thread starter FrankPais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat transfer per kg of water substance for steam flowing through a cooling coil. The first part of the problem is solved using the steady flow equation and linear interpolation. The second part involves calculating the final dryness fraction and heat transfer of steam in a rigid container cooled from 30 bar to 13 bar. The formula for dryness fraction is provided and it is suggested to use the Steam Tables to derive the values for enthalpy, specific volume, and entropy to calculate the dryness fraction. Once the dryness fraction is obtained, the steady flow equation can be used to calculate the work done.
FrankPais
1.I am currently working through some steam questions and I am struggling with this problem. I am using "Thermodynamic and Transport Properties of Fluids byG.F.C Rogers and Y.R Mayhew

Here are my questions as it is written:

"(A) Steam at 30 bar, 375 degrees C flows through a cooling coil with a negligible change in velocity and pressure, such that the exit dryness fraction is 0.5.

Calculate the heat transfer per kg of water substance."

I have worked this out by using the steady flow equation, linear interpolation and the unknown which was the "h2" value using h=(1-x)hf+xhg. (Obviously not in that order)

Here is my issue below...

One kg of steam at 30 bar, 375 degrees C, is contained in a rigid container and is cooled until the pressure is 13 bar.

Calculate the final dryness fraction and the heat transfer

Now I have been given a data sheet with the equation for x (dryness fraction) which is x= mass of saturated steam/total mass but I am still unsure how to calculate the dryness fraction from the information from the Steam Tables as I can not get the value of -966kJ

So I am asking for your help with this please.

I also have many more problems as well I need help with.

Many thanks

Scott

2. x (dryness fraction) which is x= mass of saturated steam/total mass

I believe once I have calculated the dryness fraction I need to use the steady flow equation of Q=m(h2-h1) to calculate the work done [I have disregarded the other values as they state that they are negligible]

3. I can not continue this until I know how to work out the dryness fraction correctly. As I have obviously not worked out the dryness fraction correctly I can not seem to get the correct answer.

PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
ME WITH THIS. To calculate the dryness fraction you will need to use the Steam Table values for enthalpy, specific volume, and entropy at both the inlet and exit states of your process. You can then use the steam table to derive the dryness fraction from the formula x= mass of saturated steam/total mass. Once you have the dryness fraction, you can use the steady flow equation of Q=m(h2-h1) to calculate the work done [I have disregarded the other values as they state that they are negligible]. Hope this helps!

1. What are the common causes of steam problems?

The most common causes of steam problems include insufficient water levels, blockages in the steam pipes, faulty pressure gauges, and malfunctioning valves or controls.

2. How can I prevent steam problems?

To prevent steam problems, it is important to regularly maintain and inspect your steam system. This includes checking water levels, cleaning and clearing any blockages in the pipes, and testing the performance of valves and controls.

3. What are the signs of steam problems?

Signs of steam problems may include low pressure or temperature fluctuations, unusual noises coming from the system, inconsistent steam production, and leaks or condensation on the pipes.

4. How can I troubleshoot steam problems?

To troubleshoot steam problems, start by checking the water level and pressure gauge. If these are within the appropriate range, then inspect the steam pipes for any blockages or leaks. You may also need to check the valves and controls for proper functioning.

5. When should I call a professional for steam problems?

If you are unable to identify and fix the steam problem yourself, it is best to call a professional. Additionally, if there is a major issue such as a burst pipe or malfunctioning control, it is important to seek professional help immediately to prevent further damage or safety hazards.