1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam Table issues

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    Hi
    I'm trying to convert m3/hr to kg/hr for a steam system operating at 14.5 barg and 1150 deg C. I was planning on using steam tables to get the specific volume but anywhere i look the temperature seems too high to have any values.
    Any suggestions of places that do have the values i'm looking for? Or do ye think the temperature meter is just wrong..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would the table here help. I know nothing about engineering with steam but the info you need could be in here.
    (Or is the problem that this sort of table doesn't tell you what you want?)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    That seems a terribly high temperature for that pressure.

5. Feb 10, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no experience of this but what might be more typical?

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5
    It's a long time since I played with hot fog but the numbers just look odd so I looked about and found an abstract of a GE document concerning a large steam turbine that gives steam entry conditions as 260 Bar and 610 deg C.
    This site http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-tables/superheated-steam.asp only goes up to 1000 Deg C

7. Feb 10, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You weren't a colleague of George Stevenson by any chance??? Haha

8. Feb 11, 2012 #7
    Colleague! I taught him all he knew.

9. Feb 11, 2012 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boilers were not strong in his day.

10. Feb 11, 2012 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is one sure of the pressure? Otherwise, one has extreme superheat, so one would have to use superheat tables rather than saturated steam tables.

Here is a table from NIST that gives steam properties over the temperature range 0-2000°C and pressures including 1.4 and 1.5 MPa.
    http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/NISTIR5078-Tab3.pdf

It would make more sense if the pressure was 145 bar, and even then 1150°C is questionable, although gas turbines have inlet temperatures approaching ~1500°C.

In water, the critical point occurs at around 647 K (374 °C; 705 °F) and 22.064 MPa (3200 psia, 218 atm or 220.9 bar), so it may not be practical to have such a high steam temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook