Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam to water conversion

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1
    Hi there,
    Is there any method to calculate the amount of steam condensed to form water? Lets assume 1000 lbs of superheated steam at 4000C condensed to water at 450C. What will be the amount of water? I have calculated it through specific volume but it returns with a very minimum value.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Waqas, :welcome:

1000 lbs IS an amount of H2O. So 1000 lbs of steam (H2O in vapor phase) will condense to 1000 lbs of water (H2O in liquid phase).

4. Jun 6, 2017 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...as long as the pressure in the condenser is over something like half an atm....or there is something else critical we aren't being told...

5. Jun 6, 2017 #4
    Thanks for the reply but may be I couldn't state my problem clearly enough. I will try again. In my case, we are inserting 1000 lb/hr steam in a fractionating column. I need to calculate the water produced. Will it return the same flow?

6. Jun 6, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. 1000 lbs of steam will condense to 1000 lbs of water

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted