How do I conduct structural analysis on steam turbine blades using Ansys apdl?

In summary, the conversation is about doing structural analysis for low pressure spindle blades in Ansys apdl. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to properly apply force/pressure and constraints in order to find stress, strain, and deformation in the blades. They also mention the need to consider the rotational forces and steam passage when analyzing the blades. The speaker asks for suggestions on helpful resources such as books, journals, or tutorial videos.
Damian123
Hello,

i would like to do structural analysis for low pressure spindle blades in Ansys apdl.. but i couldn't do it coz of lack of knowledge about it.. Can anybody explain me where to apply force/ pressure and constraints and how to do it to find stress, strain and deformation in it.. please i had attached picture of those blades..

Attachments

• blade 1.JPG
    blade 1.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 655
  • blade2.JPG
    blade2.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 629
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any suggestions guys??

One of the major loads on a turbine blade will be due to the rotational forces acting to hurl the blade away from the spinning rotor. You will need to know the distance of the blade from the axis of rotation and the speed of rotation.

If you want to add a loading on the blade due to the passage of steam, then you must determine the velocity, pressure, and temperature of the steam as it passes thru the particular stage of the turbine where the blade is located.

Is there any books, journals or tutorial videos which can i knw.. so that it will be lot easier.. thanks for ur reply

1. What is the purpose of analyzing steam turbine blades?

The purpose of analyzing steam turbine blades is to improve the efficiency and performance of steam turbines. By studying the design, material, and operating conditions of the blades, scientists can identify potential problems and make necessary improvements to increase the turbine's efficiency and lifespan.

2. How are steam turbine blades made?

Steam turbine blades are typically made of high-strength materials such as stainless steel or titanium. They are manufactured using advanced techniques such as precision casting, forging, or machining. The blades are then carefully inspected and tested to ensure they meet the required specifications before being installed in the turbine.

3. What factors affect the performance of steam turbine blades?

The performance of steam turbine blades is affected by various factors, including the type of material used, the design and shape of the blades, the operating conditions, and the cleanliness of the steam. Changes in any of these factors can impact the efficiency and durability of the blades.

4. How do scientists analyze steam turbine blades?

Scientists use different methods to analyze steam turbine blades, such as visual inspection, non-destructive testing, and computer simulations. Visual inspection involves physically examining the blades for any signs of damage or wear. Non-destructive testing techniques, such as ultrasonic or magnetic particle testing, can detect flaws or defects within the blades without causing damage. Computer simulations use advanced algorithms to model the behavior of the blades under different operating conditions.

5. What are the common issues found during steam turbine blade analysis?

Common issues found during steam turbine blade analysis include corrosion, erosion, fatigue, and cracking. These issues can lead to reduced efficiency, increased maintenance costs, and even catastrophic failures. By identifying and addressing these issues through analysis, scientists can help improve the overall performance and safety of steam turbines.