1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam turbine

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1
    A steam turbine has an inlet of 2kg/s water at 1000kPa and 350C and velocity of 15m/s. The exit is at 100kPa, 100% quality and very low velocity. Find specific work and power produced.

I have done a lot of these problems but it usually says adiabatic or the inlet and exit temp is the same. How do i solve with the energy equation when I have 2 unknowns? (q and w)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does 100% quality mean? Check the question carefully. One has to have a temperature of the exit steam/water in order to determine the loss of energy of the steam.

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3
    I understand that that gives me the exit temp, I just do not understand how to solve the energy equation for work when I have heat loss as well. Is the heat loss just the difference in internal energy between those two temperatures and pressures?
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first law of thermodynamics:

[tex]dQ = dU + dW = nC_vdT + PdV[/tex]

where dQ is the heat removed from the hot reservoir, applies only to systems in thermodynamic equilbrium. Here you have a dynamic element: moving steam, so you have to take into account the kinetic energy of the steam as well.

I still don't understand how you get the exit temperature. What does "100% quality" mean?

6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    The heat flow is zero. Turbines under steady state are adiabatic unless otherwise specified. You have one unknown, solve for it.

AM, 100% quality means the liquid is a saturated vapor, x=1.0, and the specific enthalpy is equal to the value of Hg at said temperature.

Beckton and his never ending slew of thermo questions, aye caramba. :wink:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  7. Apr 12, 2006 #6
    Thanks guys, sorry about all of the thermo questions, just studying for an exam and doing a bunch of problems that were not assigned so I sometimes come across something that was not covered and haven't seen that situation before, but that helps me the more situations I see, the more I understand the underlying concepts.
  8. Apr 12, 2006 #7
    I figured it out and found that without taking into account the velocity, the anwser is 482.19 kj/kg, and 482.303 kJ,kg with the velocity considered (the right anwser in the back of the book). Is this not negligible?
  9. Apr 12, 2006 #8
    What do you think?
  10. Apr 12, 2006 #9
    It seems to me that we should almost always neglect kinetic energy. Should there be a rule of thumb or something?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?