Steam wankel engine

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
Could say a three rotor wankel engine run efficiently on steam? If heat heat loss was kept to a minimum may be by ceramic coating the rotors and chambers, i know some valving system would be needed to pass steam from the high pressuer chamber to the LP chambers, seems to me that i would have a semi turbine. :smile:

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
Woolie, I've been planning to do that for about 20 years. Never had the funds available. :grumpy:
My main concern was lubrication, but I figured that oil could be injected into the steam the way air tools are set up. I also wasn't quite sure what bits, if any, would need to be rust-proofed.

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You do understand that the classic triple expansion engines had increasing displacement volumes as steam moved from high, through intermediate, to LP pistons? Or, are you planning on stacking two or three Wankel rotors with increasing displacements?

wolram
Gold Member
I thought that the valves could be controled electronicaly, a sensor on the engine would control a sevo motor which would opperate rotory valves, if i could find a engine and get it running on compressed air first, hmmmm.

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes. Any engine design that will work for gasoline can also work for steam or compressed air.

I'm not too sure that a particular rotary motor can easily be converted.