Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam wankel engine

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Could say a three rotor wankel engine run efficiently on steam? If heat heat loss was kept to a minimum may be by ceramic coating the rotors and chambers, i know some valving system would be needed to pass steam from the high pressuer chamber to the LP chambers, seems to me that i would have a semi turbine. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Woolie, I've been planning to do that for about 20 years. Never had the funds available. :grumpy:
    My main concern was lubrication, but I figured that oil could be injected into the steam the way air tools are set up. I also wasn't quite sure what bits, if any, would need to be rust-proofed.

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do understand that the classic triple expansion engines had increasing displacement volumes as steam moved from high, through intermediate, to LP pistons? Or, are you planning on stacking two or three Wankel rotors with increasing displacements?

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I thought that the valves could be controled electronicaly, a sensor on the engine would control a sevo motor which would opperate rotory valves, if i could find a engine and get it running on compressed air first, hmmmm.

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Any engine design that will work for gasoline can also work for steam or compressed air.

I'm not too sure that a particular rotary motor can easily be converted.

7. Jul 27, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?