Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steampunk-esque novels

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    Hello!
    I have started to take an interest in steampunk and related genres. I read China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and enjoyed his writing style and some of the ideas and imaginative characters. However, it wasn't "pure" steampunk. I tried The difference Engine but it didn't provide the setting clearly enough from the outset. It is supposed to be a good read so I will try again, but can anyone suggest any good steampunk novels?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I too tried The Difference Engine but have yet to finish it.

I REALLY enjoyed Mieville's Kraken, though it's not Steampunk. It was WAY off my usual path. Not a fantasy reader.

I enjoyed R. Appleton's Prehistoric Clock. Steampunk and dinosaurs!

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    Yeah Mieville seems to be a blend of different genres. At least that is what I got from Perdido street station. I really enjoyed some of the ideas and characters, especially the Weaver, which I think he done really well. I was planning to read Railsea but apparently it riffs off of Moby Dick and so it would make more sense to read that first, I guess, to appreciate it more.
    Steampunkb and dinosaurs sounds like the most random combination of ideas! I was thinking "classic" steampunk with the Victorian setting.

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh, they're Victorian all right. They just ... er ... shoulda never made that left toin at Alberkiokie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook