Steampunk-esque novels

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
Hello!
I have started to take an interest in steampunk and related genres. I read China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and enjoyed his writing style and some of the ideas and imaginative characters. However, it wasn't "pure" steampunk. I tried The difference Engine but it didn't provide the setting clearly enough from the outset. It is supposed to be a good read so I will try again, but can anyone suggest any good steampunk novels?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I too tried The Difference Engine but have yet to finish it.

I REALLY enjoyed Mieville's Kraken, though it's not Steampunk. It was WAY off my usual path. Not a fantasy reader.

I enjoyed R. Appleton's Prehistoric Clock. Steampunk and dinosaurs!

Yeah Mieville seems to be a blend of different genres. At least that is what I got from Perdido street station. I really enjoyed some of the ideas and characters, especially the Weaver, which I think he done really well. I was planning to read Railsea but apparently it riffs off of Moby Dick and so it would make more sense to read that first, I guess, to appreciate it more.
Steampunkb and dinosaurs sounds like the most random combination of ideas! I was thinking "classic" steampunk with the Victorian setting.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Steampunkb and dinosaurs sounds like the most random combination of ideas! I was thinking "classic" steampunk with the Victorian setting.
Oh, they're Victorian all right. They just ... er ... shoulda never made that left toin at Alberkiokie.