Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steamy windows

1. May 3, 2004 #1
    Hi,
    When I boil some water,and outside is cold,window-pans in my kitchen get steamy.Here comes my question.Shouldn't that thin film of water condensate be light transparent?I wonder why becouse it is nothing else but clear water.
    Does the film structure become corrugated somehow or other mechanism preventing transparency is involved?
    Experts please explain -Zhana.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2004 #2
    no physicist here, but distortion thru refraction seems to be culprit.

4. May 3, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How clean are your windows? In any case, there are going to be air bubbles throughout the layer- that's what usually makes a film of water translucent.

5. May 3, 2004 #4

Njorl

Science Advisor

Also, the water condenses in many droplets of differing thicknesses. Each droplet acts like a different microlens. The light that passes through each droplet gets refracted in a different direction, scattering the light.

Njorl

6. May 3, 2004 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although the water is not visible, and the air is not visible, the border between the two is visible. A familiar example is sunlight reflecting off the surface of the water.

The visibility of condensation, mist and clouds are all results of light scattering through or reflections on the surface of minature droplets of water.

7. May 4, 2004 #6
    Thank You All for your replies,
    Njorl's explanation looks promising to me to describe the structure.The film isn't smooth but the window-pan is cowered by many of small water droplets of different sizes attached to the glass surface?
    If that is so ,what is the average size of such droplet and why they don't join together and form smooth water plane ?Potential energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?