1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steel pipe around a hallway

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

0tBzblE.png

hBWBwO3.png

2. Relevant equations

Trigonometric identities and differentiation

3. The attempt at a solution

It's pretty simple to solve this question when the hallway is a right angle.

G3GFWTB.jpg

Differentiating -6cscθ + 9secθ and setting it equal to zero and solving will yield the proper answer. But I don't know if the same method can be applied for this question? How would I start to solve this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same method can, but not using the same function obviously. Do you understand where the equation -6cscθ + 9secθ comes from geometrically? The same geometric argument can construct a function for this other hallway that you need to minimize

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    For the right-angle turn, you look at the part of the pipe in each hallway, and add them together. So cosθ = 9/L1 and -sinθ = 6/L2. You can make similar triangles in the hallway of question, but I don't think θ is can be used as the angle for both triangles. And how does the pi/4 play a part in this?

5. Apr 24, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let θ be the angle that the pipe makes with the 12 foot hallway's wall. You'll have to do a little geometry (not much, just tracking some angles) to find out what angle the pipe makes with the 8 foot hallway's wall, then set up a similar equation to calculate how long the pipe is. The fact that we have an extra pi/4 angle is just going to change what the relationship between the angle with the 12 foot wall and the angle with the 8 foot wall are related

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5
    So this is what I came up with,

CvC6bLS.png

but the resulting theta values do not equate to the answer, which is 51.7762 ft.

7. Apr 25, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adding up all the angles on one half of the red line on the right should give me a total of [itex] \pi [/itex]. But on the right half of the line you have
    [tex]\pi/4 + \pi/4+\pi/4+\pi/4+\theta+\pi/2-\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex]

So you have to double check those

8. Apr 26, 2013 #7
    Got it! It was θ - π/4 for the second triangle. Thanks :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted