Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steepest Descent in Fortran

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and new to fortran as well.
    I've been trying to create a method for implementing the steepest descent method for optimization.
    I've been able to create the code for a fixed step size and it worked beaufitully, but I can not seem to be able to find the optimal step size.
    My teacher asked us to use a cubic interpolation for it, and I was able to create a system using a stepsize interval and finding the best in the interval, but in the program, the loop to find this step size crashes.

If needed, I can post the code to what I've done, but it's kind of messy( I am VERY unorganized). lol
    Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    Post the code. Use start CODE and end /CODE tags each surrounded by square brackets ('[' and ']').

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    ok then.
    Basically explaining what i used, was to set alfa1 to 0 and alfa2 to the upper limit. Then I used a cubic interpolation, using a function of alfa1 and a function of alfa 2, with the same coeficients and a function of their derivative in respect to alfa 1 and alfa2.

the function of alfa1 is equal to the function using x-alfa1*grad and the derivative of this function is equal to the derivative of the function using x-alfa*grad.
    The same goes for alfa2.

The criteria to stopping is when the derivative of the function with respect to alfa1<0 and for alfa2 is >0
    the alfa for the general function then becomes alfa=(alfa1+alfa2)/2
    and then it is used in the program(that part is ok).

Just help me out with the loop. It will make more sense when reading the code
    Code (Text):
    program steepest_descent
    IMPLICIT NONE

integer k,kmax
      real(8) alfa1,alfa2,f,x(2),x0(2), grad(2), delta,v1,v2,v3,v4,a,b,c,d,alfa
      kmax=20
      k=0
      delta=0.00001
      alfa1=0
      write(*,*)'Entre x, y, alfa'
      read(*,*)x(1),x(2),alfa2
      do while(k<kmax)
        k=k+1
        x0=x
        call alpha1(x0,alfa1,v1,v2)
        call alpha2(x0,alfa2,v3,v4)
        do while (alfa1.ne.alfa2)      
                if (v4>0)then
                    if(v2<0)then
                        alfa1=(alfa1+alfa2)/2
                        alfa2=alfa1
                    else
                        alfa1=alfa1-0.01
                    end if
                else
                    alfa1=alfa2
                    alfa2=alfa2+0.01
                end if
         end do
        alfa=alfa1
        x=x0-(alfa*grad)
        call funcao(x,f)
        write(*,4)k,x(1),x(2),f
    4   format(i2,1x,3(f15.8))
      end do
    end program
    subroutine gradx(x,grad)
      real(8) x(2),grad(2)
      grad=x**3-9.*x**2+22.*x-13.
    end subroutine gradx
    subroutine alpha1(alfa1,v1,v2)
        real x(2),v1,v2,alfa1,grad(2),x0(2)
        call gradx(x0,grad)
        x=x0-alfa1*grad
        call funcao(x,f)
        v1=f
        x=x0-(alfa1+0.00001)*grad
        call funcao(x,f)
        v2=(f-v1)/0.00001
    end subroutine alpha1
    subroutine alpha2(x0,alfa2,v3,v4)
        real x(2),v4,v3,alfa2,grad(2),x0(2)
        call gradx(x0,grad)
        x=x0-alfa2*grad
        call funcao(x,f)
        v3=f
        x=x0-(alfa2+0.00001)*grad
        call funcao(x,f)
        v4=(f-v3)/0.00001
    end subroutine alpha2

subroutine variaveis(alfa1,alfa2,v1,v2,v3,v4,a,b,c,d)
      real(8) alfa1,alfa2,v1,v2,v3,v4,a,b,c,d,x,y
    x=alfa1
    y=alfa2
    a1=-(x*(-v2*(y**3)-3.*v1*(y**2))+v1*(y**3)+(x**2)*(-v4*(y**2)+v2*(y**2)+3.*v3*y)+(x**3)*(v4*y-v3))
    a2=(-(y**3)+3.*x*(y**2)-3.*(x**2)*y+(x**3))
    a=a1/a2
    b=(-v2*(y**3)+x*(-2.*v4*(y**2)-v2*(y**2)+6.*v3*y-6.*v1*y)+(x**2)*(v4*(y+2.*v2*y)+v4*(x**3)))/(-(y**3)+3.*x*(y**2)-3.*(x**2)*y+(x**3))
    c=-(-v4*(y**2)-2.*v2*(y**2)+x*(-v4*y+v2*y+3.*v3-3.*v1)+3.*v3*y-3.*v1*y+(2.*v4+v2)*(x**2))/(-(y**3)+3.*x*(y**2)-3.*(x**2)*y+(x**3))
    d=(-v4*y-v2*y+(v4+v2)*x+2.*v3-2.*v1)/(-(y**3)+3.*x*(y**2)-3.*(x**2)*y+(x**3))
    end subroutine variaveis
    subroutine funcao(x,f)
      real(8) x(2),f
      f=0.25*x(1)**4-3.*x(1)**3+11.*x(1)**2-13.*x(1)+  &
        0.25*x(2)**4-3.*x(2)**3+11.*x(2)**2-13.*x(2)
    end subroutine funcao

5. Aug 2, 2012 #4
    are you doing any thing special to be able to go beyond 132 columns? Just checking, I did not think that happened by itself

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    the declaration of subroutine alpha1() is missing the first argument, you only have 3 but call it with 4

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6
    you need to be consistent in your declarations...either use real(8) everywhere or nowhere; otherwise you are mixing here and there

8. Aug 2, 2012 #7
    your variable grad in the main program is never getting set to anything

whatever modifications are happening to grad, they are staying local to alpha1() and alpha2() since you never passed grad to these subs...so, the variable grad in there is just a local one and does not refer to the one in the main program

9. Aug 16, 2012 #8
    I appreciate the help and comments.
    I apologize for the mess. This program was kind of rushed and I wasn't able to develop it properly.

I will try to do as you guys told me and re do it, but otherwise, I will come and bother you guys again :biggrin:

10. Aug 16, 2012 #9
    Ok.
    GSal, I did as you instructed me, corrected the formatting, fixed the alfa1 call to add 4 parameters but I am still getting an error.
    The program stops when i run, but compiles fine, although I understand that is irrelevant.

I believe the error is in the do while loop that includes the alfa1 and alfa2, since when choosing a set alfa, instead of doing the adaptative step size, the program ran and worked fine.
    Can you check that specific section to see what mistake i did there, please?

11. Aug 16, 2012 #10

uart

Science Advisor

Code (Text):
    do while (alfa1.ne.alfa2)
    Hi massalami, comparing reals for equality can be problematic and can sometimes give unexpected results. I haven't read through your code in detail, but is that only meant to detect equality after the assignment, "alfa1 = alfa2", or is it meant to detect equality after more general mathematical operations. The latter may not work. Generally better to use something like "abs(alfa2-alfa1) > toln" rather than ".ne."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  12. Aug 20, 2012 #11
    alright, uart.
    thanks for the input.
    I'll try fixing that. Now that I've retried the program, I'm still having trouble with the program without the loop, meaning that my alpha1 and alpha2 functions and variable functions might have some problems with it too.
    Even without the if and the equality part(which I've tried without to try to identify the problem).
    any ideas?
    thank you all A LOT!!

13. Aug 20, 2012 #12
    post latest code
    post command used for compilation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook