Calculating Maximum Steering Angle of a Car

In summary, calculating the maximum steering angle of a car depends on the turning radius, wheel base, and track. For low speeds, it is based on suspension geometry, while at higher speeds, the slip angle of the tire is a determining factor. This topic is also covered in Ranger Mike's suspension class.
varunsangani
sir,

how can we calculate maximum steering angle of a car. i have the following details:
turning radius = 4.6 mts
wheel base= 2360mm
track=1495mm
also can you please suggest the relation for steering angle and turning radius and what are the values necessary for calculation of steering angle .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking at any automotive engineering books?

Have you tried looking at any automotive engineering books?

sir, i have tried searching the net so far, can you please suggest me any sites also

Hi Varun,

You can use the quote feature by typing
and /quote (the last one should also be in [ ]'s). I would look at SAE publications, and probably Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics by Gillespie.

see post in Mech Eng forum

Race car suspension Class

Old Jul22-09, 12:03 PM Last edited by Ranger Mike; Jul22-09 at 12:15 PM.. #1
Ranger Mike

sir,
i will definately check up and come back.

varunsangani said:
sir,
i will definately check up and come back.

It also depends on what you mean by maximum steering angle, do you mean acutally how much the wheel rotates, or how much you turn as they are not the same thing.

At low speeds your max steering angle is simply determined by the geometry of your suspension and wheel/arches. ie you put the steering lock before the wheel rubs on anything.

At higher speeds, slip angle of the tyre is what controls the turn. It is related (but not linearly) to steering input.

As far as I remember this was convered in Ranger Mikes suspension class.

What is the maximum steering angle of a car?

The maximum steering angle of a car refers to the maximum angle that the wheels can turn in order to change the direction of the vehicle.

Why is calculating the maximum steering angle important?

Calculating the maximum steering angle is important because it helps determine the maneuverability and turning radius of a car. It also ensures that the car can make safe turns without causing accidents or damaging the vehicle.

How is the maximum steering angle calculated?

The maximum steering angle is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the wheelbase, track width, and tire diameter of the car. This formula helps determine the turning radius and the angle at which the wheels can turn without rubbing against other parts of the car.

What factors can affect the maximum steering angle of a car?

The maximum steering angle of a car can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the tires, the suspension system, and the weight distribution of the car. These factors can either increase or decrease the maximum steering angle.

How can the maximum steering angle be improved?

The maximum steering angle of a car can be improved by making modifications to the suspension system, such as adding a steering rack or a steering damper. Additionally, choosing tires with a smaller diameter and adjusting the weight distribution of the car can also improve the maximum steering angle.