Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Steering mechanism

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    can any body tell me how to turn the front two wheels of an 4 wheeler in different angles by making small changes in conventional steering mechanism.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

google ackermann effect on standard steering system

4. Jan 12, 2013 #3
    hey i am thinking of turning of the right and left wheels in different direction.
    eg:i want to turn front right wheel in 90degree and the left wheel in 54degree.

5. Jan 12, 2013 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might help to explain why you'd want to do something like that or what you're trying to accomplish.

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5

Tik

The steering knuckle is usually connected to one side of the centre of the wheel to make the wheel turn. Adjusting it such that it connects to the other side of the centre could help you achieve this, although I'm not sure how accurately.

Watching this video might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jan 13, 2013 #6
    im in last yr mech engg and i am doing my project on minimum turning radius in which i want to turn one wheel at 90 degree and the other at an angle around 55 degree

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook