Stephan-Boltzmann Law Help for Science Fair Project - Needed Now!

In summary, the individual is seeking help with their science fair project and is stuck on calculating energy flow and energy carried by visible and infrared photons using construction paper squares and temperature data. They are aware of the Stephan-Boltzmann Law and suggest using P=σAT4 to solve the problem. The Stefan-Boltzmann constant is also mentioned as being equal to 5.67x10-8 J/sm2K4.
BobbySells32
Hello, I am in DIRE need of help with my science fair project and am completely stuck. All/most relevant information should be able to be found here: http://sciencebuddies.org/science-f...OjEsaWE6UGh5cyxwOjUscmlkOjEyNDE1MzMw&from=TSW

1. I am stuck on number 7, "Now that you have the data, calculate the energy flow and the energy carried by the visible and infrared photons." The squares of construction paper were 4*4 inches. Data for the temperature is as follows (Celsius; Kelvin)
Red: 38.4; 311.4
Blue: 40.4; 313.4
Yellow: 37.4; 310.4
White: 36.6; 309.6
Black:45.1; 318.1
2. Its something to do with the Stephan-Boltzmann Law but I'm not entirely sure
3. I have no clue where to even BEGIN on a solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :(

I think you need to use P=σAT4, it gives you the energy flow from a surface with temperature T.
σ is Stefan–Boltzmann constant and is equal to 5.67x10-8 J/sm2K4

1. What is the Stephan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stephan-Boltzmann Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of radiation it emits. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a black body per unit time (also known as the black body radiation) is directly proportional to the fourth power of the object's absolute temperature.

2. How is the Stephan-Boltzmann Law used in scientific research?

The Stephan-Boltzmann Law is often used in scientific research to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by a particular object. This can be applied to a wide range of studies, such as understanding the thermal properties of stars or determining the energy output of various materials.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Stephan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stephan-Boltzmann Law has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and engineering. It is used to study the radiation emitted by stars, to measure the heat transfer in buildings, and to design efficient solar panels, among others.

4. How can the Stephan-Boltzmann Law be demonstrated for a science fair project?

One way to demonstrate the Stephan-Boltzmann Law for a science fair project is by using a black body, such as a black metal container, and varying its temperature while measuring the amount of radiation emitted. This data can then be used to plot a graph and verify the relationship between temperature and radiation predicted by the law.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stephan-Boltzmann Law?

While the Stephan-Boltzmann Law is a useful tool for understanding the radiation emitted by objects, it has some limitations. It assumes that the object is a perfect black body, which absorbs all radiation that falls on it. In reality, most objects are not perfect black bodies, so the law may not be accurate in certain situations.