Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral that is used to deduce Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law and asks for help in solving it. The conversation suggests two methods for solving the integral - using partial integration or searching for it in tables. The conversation also mentions a hint to solve the integral by writing the integrand as a product and using the geometric series expansion.
steveurkell
Hello everyone,
I cannot solve the following integral
integral from 0 to infinity of (x^3)/(exp(kx)-1) dx with k>0
as you may be able to guess, this integral is very famous one which can be used to deduce Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law
those of you who are experts may quickly recognize it and easily solve it
I've ever learned the trick 4 years ago, now forget hehe
so I would be grateful if you could teach me that trick
any comments are welcome

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Write the integrand as a product between the
[tex] x^{3} [/tex]
and the fraction containing the exponetial;then write the fraction as a sum of a geometic series with ratio [itex] e^{-kx} [/itex].
Take the sum in the exterior of the integral and then perform three times partial integration.U'll end up with:
[tex] I=6\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{k^{4}} [/tex]

which is
[tex] I=6\zeta(4) [/tex]

2.Search the integral in the tables (e.g.Abramowitz & Stegun,Gradsteyn & Rytzik ) to find
[tex] I=\Gamma(4)\zeta(4) [/tex]

Daniel.

thank you
before my first posting, I had tried to use the geometrical series expansion, but I performed the summation inside the integral and I didn't realize that with limit of integration from 0 to infinity, I just could replace x by 0.

thanks anyway

1. What is Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law?

Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law is a physics law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy emitted per unit of time by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. Who discovered the Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law?

This law was discovered independently by Austrian physicist Josef Stefan in 1879 and then by German physicist Ludwig Boltzman in 1884.

3. How is Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law used?

Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law is used to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by an object at a given temperature. It is also used in various fields such as astronomy, engineering, and thermodynamics to understand the behavior of thermal radiation.

4. What is the formula for Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law?

The formula for Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law is E = σT^4, where E is the energy emitted per unit area per unit time, σ is the Stefan-Boltzman constant (5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4), and T is the absolute temperature of the object in Kelvin.

5. What is a black body in relation to Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law?

In the context of Stefan-Boltzman's radiation law, a black body is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits thermal radiation based on its temperature. This concept is used as a theoretical reference point for calculating the amount of radiation emitted by real objects.