Where can I find a comprehensive online database for stellar data analysis?

In summary, the user is looking for a highly detailed database of stellar data that can be downloaded or accessed online. They mention that NASA used to have a good one but it has been removed. They have found some information on Wiki and the website Simbad, but they are looking for a database that can handle large batches of data at once. The user mentions an interest in Gyrochronology and rotational velocity data. They are pointed towards the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and Vizier as potential sources. They also mention using a CSV file and MySQL to work with the data.
robertrej
I am looking for a On line or downloadable stellar highly detailed database.
Nasa had a excellent one but seemed to remove it from (NASA Star and Exoplanet Database (NStED).
Wiki has lots of detail on there website but its star by star basis.I want to analyse
large batches of stellar data at once.

the website simbad is ok but lacks complete info.

I may begin some work in Gyrochronology but need rotational velocity.

Thanks very much
Bob

Astronomy news on Phys.org
robertrej, welcome to Physics Forums!

Is what you are seeking here at the Sloan Digital Sky Survey?

http://www.sdss.org/

Yes that looks very good, I just have to brush up on my SQL a bit .
The Nasa database was a little easier to use but I believe this one is more complete
and I can produce very precise reports .
I will follow up a bit later as to my progress.

Thanks
Bob

"Gyrochronology"

I thought I'd kept up with the field, but that's a new one to me ! Many Thanks for teaching me a new word and a fascinating technique !

Vizier is a good source of all kinds of astronomical data. It includes a large number of databases, including SDSS.

Well for now I am back to the Nasa Exoplanet database due to its simplicity.
I am able to search for star data if I go to Modify field .They have a convert results to CSV format function which I can than import to MYSQL and work with that data as I see fit.
I performed a star search which produced 56,000 results.( mass = .4 -2.4).

CSV = comma separated data file format.
MYSQL -Oracle: open source database program.

Have a good week
Bob

Attachments

• nasa-exoplanet.jpg
    nasa-exoplanet.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 440

1. What is a "Stellar online database"?

A "Stellar online database" is a digital collection of information and data related to stars and other celestial bodies. It is accessible through the internet and can be used for research, education, and other purposes.

2. Who can access the "Stellar online database"?

The "Stellar online database" is available to anyone with internet access. However, some databases may require a subscription or payment for access to certain features or more extensive data.

3. What kind of information can be found in the "Stellar online database"?

The "Stellar online database" may contain a variety of information on stars, such as their names, positions, distances, sizes, compositions, and other properties. It could also include data on exoplanets, galaxies, and other astronomical objects.

4. How is the data in the "Stellar online database" collected?

The data in the "Stellar online database" is collected through various methods, including observations from ground-based and space telescopes, surveys, and simulations. It is then curated and organized by scientists and researchers for easy access and analysis.

5. Can I contribute to the "Stellar online database"?

Yes, many "Stellar online databases" allow for user contributions, such as submitting observations or data, correcting errors, or providing feedback. However, the process for contributing may vary depending on the database and its policies.