Comprehensive List of STEM Bibles: Physics, Mechanics, Electrodynamics, etc.

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List Stem
  • Featured
In summary, experts in the field of STEM refer to science, technology, engineering, and math, while a "bible" is a comprehensive, authoritative, and highly respected book that contains all the necessary information on a subject. Some examples of "bibles" in physics include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson, "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, and "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang. Other notable mentions include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "Concepts of Physics" by Verma, "
It's only you who thinks Ballentine's book is garbage. It's standard QT explained in a modern way. There's a bit too much "interpretation" in the book to my taste, but it also doesn't hurt to have some.

Likes bhobba and strangerep
Physics news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
It's only you who thinks Ballentine's book is garbage. It's standard QT explained in a modern way. There's a bit too much "interpretation" in the book to my taste, but it also doesn't hurt to have some.

Ballentine fundamentally contradicts at least 4 of the other books (Dirac, Weinberg, Sakurai, Messiah) you listed as QM bibles.

Likes Auto-Didact
Where? You claim this from time to time, so please give a clear reference!

vanhees71 said:
Where? You claim this from time to time, so please give a clear reference!

All of those 4 have collapse, which Ballentine mischaracterizes and repudiates.

Ballentine's error is not an incidental error (eg. the Feynman lectures have errors, but they are incidental, and can be corrected without disturbing the main thrust), but deep in his book, and explains why he also gets the result of the watched pot effect wrong.

Well, that's an interpretational issue. As you well know, I'm also a proponent of the minimal interpretation and I also think that there's no need for a collapse. If some filter is used for preparation (e.g., in the Stern-Gerlach experiment taking only one partial beam with determined magnetic quantum number ##m##) it's working is well explained within the realm of local interactions of the Standard model, where by construction for sure is no instantaneous collapse. It's a sloppy description of a filter-preparation procedure which works FAPP in many cases, but it's contradicting the very construction of local relatistic QFTs.

All there is really physical about QM, i.e., the probabilistic description based on Born's rule is the very same in Ballentine as in any other standard QT textbook. The main point, why I recommend Ballentine is his use of the rigged-Hilbert space formalism in a physicist's way, avoiding much confusion about continuous spectra.

Demystifier said:
It's really not my expertise, but isn't Guyton the bible of medical physiology too?

Not mine either, but I've heard that Guyton is especially good for the heart.

Likes Demystifier
Polchinski, String Theory

Hinman, Fundamentals of Mathematical Logic

Henry Gray, Anatomy

Kardar, Statistical Physics of Particles
Kardar, Statistical Physics of Fields

Likes Demystifier
SICP

Likes apostolosdt, Demystifier and atyy
George Jones said:
If Halliday and Resnick can be included, than a book that is a something like a grad-level Halliday and Resnick also can be included, the amazing 1400+ page "Modern Classical Physics: Optics, Fluids, Plasmas, Elasticity, Relativity, and Statistical Physics" by (Nobel laureate) Thorne and Blandford

personally I wouldn't include Halliday and Resnick. In my opinion the only criterium this book matches is its volume.

Likes mathwonk
Newton's principia wins as candidate for the old testament.

Likes SolarisOne, mathwonk, Auto-Didact and 2 others
Panofsky Phillips Classical Electricity and Magnetism
Landau Lifsitz Classical Theory of Field
P.A.M. Dirac Theory of Relativity & Principles of Quantum Mechamics
Kubo Ichimura Statistical Mechanics

Those are my memorable texts ever.

Last edited:
Likes olddog, Demystifier and vanhees71
You guys have left Lev Landau in the dust. He had several concise books on all areas of physics most notably:
English editions
Note that reprints and revised editions are not listed.

Volume 1
Covers classical mechanics without special or general relativity, in the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms.

Volume 2
Covers relativistic mechanics of particles, and classical field theory for fields, specifically special relativity and electromagnetism, general relativity and gravitation.

Volume 3
Covers quantum mechanics without special relativity.

Volume 4
The original edition was two books, labelled part 1 and part 2. The first had general aspects of relativistic quantum mechanics and relativistic quantum field theory, leading onto quantum electrodynamics. The second continued on with quantum electrodynamics and what was then known about the strong and weak interactions. These books were published in the early 1970s, at a time when the strong and weak forces were still not well understood. In the second edition, the corresponding sections were scrapped and replaced with more topics in the well-established quantum electrodynamics, and the two parts were unified into one, thus providing a one-volume exposition on relativistic quantum field theory with the electromagnetic interaction as the prototype of a quantum field theory.

Volume 5
Covers general statistical mechanics and thermodynamics and applications, including chemical reactions, phase transitions, and condensed matter physics.

Volume 6
Covers fluid mechanics in a condensed but varied exposition, from ideal to viscous fluids, includes a chapter on relativistic fluid mechanics, and another on superfluids.

Volume 7
Covers elasticity theory of solids, including viscous solids, vibrations and waves in cystals with dislocations, and a chapter on the mechanics of liquid crystals.

Volume 8
Covers electromagnetism in materials, includes a variety of topics in condensed matter physics, a chapter on magnetohydrodynamics, and another on nonlinear optics.

Volume 9
Builds from the original statistical physics book; more applications to condensed matter theory.

Volume 10
Presents various applications of kinetic theory to condensed matter theory, on metals, insulators, and phase transitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_of_Theoretical_Physics

Likes bhobba, Auto-Didact, sweet springs and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
W. Pauli, Principles of Wave Mechanics

I like this book two. A small defect I found in the first chapter is that he mistreats momentum of particle in infinite potential well.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
You guys have left Lev Landau in the dust.

vanhees71 got that in post #18.

Likes Auto-Didact, Demystifier and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
You guys have left Lev Landau in the dust. He had several concise books on all areas of physics most notably:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_of_Theoretical_Physics
Many years ago I attempted to work through the entire course but after a few months I realized that at my pace it would take about 200 years for me to work through all the problems. At any rate, I am a big fan of the Russian school so my first choice for QFT is "Methods of Quantum Field Theory in Statistical Physics", Abrikosov, Gorkov and Dyaloshinski.

Likes Cauer, vanhees71 and atyy
Fred Wright said:
Many years ago I attempted to work through the entire course but after a few months I realized that at my pace it would take about 200 years for me to work through all the problems. At any rate, I am a big fan of the Russian school so my first choice for QFT is "Methods of Quantum Field Theory in Statistical Physics", Abrikosov, Gorkov and Dyaloshinski.

Me too. I couldn’t get past his first book. He was a brilliant physicist but not one for undergrads.

On the mechanical engineering - fluid flow side, how about Crane 410? Complemented by Idel'chik.

Gelfand, Generalized Functions, in 6 volumes.

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
L.D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz, Course on Theoretical Physics (10 vols)
W. Greiner et al Theoretical Physics (13 vols)
Landau and Lifshitz first came to mind when I saw the thread title. I didn't know about the series by Greiner et al.

I have the Feynman lectures (3 volumes).

Likes olddog and dextercioby
jasonRF said:
Gelfand, Generalized Functions, in 6 volumes.
Only 5, I believe, unless you know something I don't. :)

Likes Demystifier
MathematicalPhysicist said:
@Demystifier did you read all the books you recommend here? ;-)
I didn't recommend Bourbaki, I just said that it is a bible for pure math. :wink:
But yes, I tried to read Bourbaki, just to experience what it feels like.

vanhees71 said:
why I recommend Ballentine is his use of the rigged-Hilbert space formalism in a physicist's way
Ballentine indeed explains rigged Hilbert space very well, in a physics friendly language, but I wouldn't say that he really uses it.

Likes vanhees71
atyy said:
All of those 4 have collapse, which Ballentine mischaracterizes and repudiates.

Ballentine's error is not an incidental error (eg. the Feynman lectures have errors, but they are incidental, and can be corrected without disturbing the main thrust), but deep in his book, and explains why he also gets the result of the watched pot effect wrong.
From a modern perspective, the Ballentine's main problem is that he doesn't understand the importance of decoherence: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10701-008-9242-0.pdf
If he understood decoherence, he would also understand the illusion of collapse.

Flanders - Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences

Likes apostolosdt and mathwonk
I want to say:

Thorne & Blandford - Modern Classical Physics: Optics, Fluids, Plasmas, Elasticity, Relativity, and Statistical Physics

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691159025/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone read this or is this really as new as it seems to be? Having read MTW, I'm dying to get my hands on this.

Edit: just saw that this was actually mentioned already, any thoughts from anyone who has read it? The suspense is killing me!

Last edited:
I read the first chapter and looked at it at Barnes Noble. It was behind the counter at the local BN.

It’s high quality printing at its best. It’s a tome and not something you’d carry around a lot. The illustrations are very good.

I was considering buying it but just couldn’t decide. I felt that maybe Arfken and Weber was more approachable. I couldn’t find that one topic in the book where the book spoke to me and would cause me to buy it.

You might be able to find the book preprints online as Thorne and Bland had them posted to get early feedback of what they wrote.

Likes Auto-Didact
Auto-Didact said:
I want to say:

Thorne & Blandford - Modern Classical Physics: Optics, Fluids, Plasmas, Elasticity, Relativity, and Statistical Physics

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691159025/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone read this or is this really as new as it seems to be? Having read MTW, I'm dying to get my hands on this.

Edit: just saw that this was actually mentioned already, any thoughts from anyone who has read it? The suspense is killing me!

I haven't read it, but I've read the relativity portions of http://www.pmaweb.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2012/, which I think turned into the book. The discussion of the equivalence principle is nice.

This list has been Physics heavy. How about some Electrical Engineering? These are some bibles if you're interested in microelectronics.

Sze -- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
Oppenheim and Shaefer -- Discrete-Time Signal Processing
Mead and Conway -- Introduction to VLSI Systems
Gray, Meyer, Hurst, and Lewis -- Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
Rabaey -- Digital Integrated Circuit Design
Patterson and Hennessy -- Computer Organization and Design
Hennessy and Patterson -- Computer Architecture, A Quantitative Approach

Likes TeethWhitener, atyy, Demystifier and 1 other person
analogdesign said:
This list has been Physics heavy. How about some Electrical Engineering? These are some bibles if you're interested in microelectronics.

Sze -- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
Oppenheim and Shaefer -- Discrete-Time Signal Processing
Mead and Conway -- Introduction to VLSI Systems
Gray, Meyer, Hurst, and Lewis -- Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
Rabaey -- Digital Integrated Circuit Design
Patterson and Hennessy -- Computer Organization and Design
Hennessy and Patterson -- Computer Architecture, A Quantitative Approach
Without mentioning Sedra and Smith?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Without mentioning Sedra and Smith?

Sedra and Smith is good for a student, but it is way too basic to be considered a "bible" of circuit design. I haven't cracked my copy in probably 15 years.

The OP defined bible in this case as "more-or-less everything one need to know about the subject." Sedra and Smith does not reach that level.

The other books, however, do. If you read Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits, for instance, you could successfully design an analog integrated circuit.

jedishrfu said:
Flanders - Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences
Great book, but not a bible.