1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Step function integral

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    I want to calculate ## \int^6_{-6} \frac{g(x)}{2+g(x)} \ dx ## for the step function below.

2YSK7nM.jpg

The attempt
    I started with rewriting the function as with the help of long-division
    ## \int^6_{-6} \frac{g(x)}{2+g(x)} \ dx = \int^6_{-6} 1 \ dx - 2\int^6_{-6} \frac{1}{g(x)+2} \ dx##

I know that ##\int^6_{-6} 1 \ dx = 12## but thats about it. I am not sure how I should continue.

And here is where I get stuck.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

If you look closely at ## g(x) ##, it takes on constant values for various intervals. You need to break up the integral from -6 to 6 into these various segments.

4. Jan 3, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This shouldn't be too difficult. On the interval [-6, -4], g(x) = -1, so g(x) + 2 = 1. What is ##\int_{-6}^{-4} \frac 1 1 dx##? Do the same for the other intervals.

5. Jan 3, 2017 #4
    Hi Rectifier:

I suggest breaking the integral into six pieces, one piece for each step. For each piece, g(x) has a specific constant value, so the integrand is a specific constant.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

6. Jan 3, 2017 #5

Rectifier

Gold Member

Thank you for your help, everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted