1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Step functions

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1
    ARGH!!!! they drive me crazy! and our TA does not have office hrs this week :eek:

what does this thing look like?

f(t) = 10 u(t-1)u(5-t)u(t) ?

and what is the strategy to determine it? actually i need a laplace transform of it, but I need to simplify it first, then maybe i can do it by myself.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm guessing the u function is 1 when it's argument is greater than or equal to 0, and 0 otherwise? So f(t) is 10 when (t-1) > 0, (5-t) > 0, and t > 0, and f(t) is 0 otherwise.

t > 1
    t < 5
    t > 0

simplifies to:

t in [1, 5]

So f(t) = 10 when t in [1, 5] and f(t) = 0 otherwise. Of course, if I've got this step function wrong, then you'll have to make appropriate adjustments, but there you go.
  4. Aug 25, 2005 #3
    Oh, I see... that's a little more understandable. Thanks much! Oh, yeah, sorry forgot to define step, your definition is correct.
    Now, since this is a pulse-type waveform, I can represent it as u(t-1) - u(t-5) and the appropriate laplace transform is simple.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook