1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Step potential

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working through a step potential and I am confused as to why one of the coefficients doesn't go to zero.

V(x) = 0 when x < 0;
    V(x) = V_not when x > 0;

a. Calculate reflection coefficient when E < V_not
    I can solve the reflection part, it is a step towards it that i am confused about.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now i know the solutions solve to:

Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx) where k= sqrt(2mE)/hbar when x<0
    Cexp(lx) where l=sqrt(-2m(E-V_not)/hbar when x>0

So my question is why doesn't B=0? Because when x->-infinity it goes to infinity so B has to be 0. The only reason i can think it wouldn't is because of tunneling. If this is the case how do I spot this. Is it only relevant in step potentials?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

e-ikx is oscillatory. It doesn't blow up as x goes to -∞.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Ah thank you. Now that brings up another question for the same problem but now E>Vo.

The wave equations go to:
    Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx) when x < 0. k=sqrt(2mE)/hbar
    Cexp(ilx) + Dexp(-ilx) when x > 0. l=sqrt(2m(E-Vo))/hbar

Now in this case why does D=0.

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's a boundary condition essentially. The idea here is you have an incident wave coming from the left. That corresponds to the A term. When it hits the potential step, you get a reflection, the B term, and a transmitted wave, the C term. The D term would correspond to a wave traveling to the right from x=+∞. You could certainly solve a problem with D not equal to 0, but it would be a different physical situation than the one you're interested in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook