Step up and Step down Potentials

• Thread starter hectorzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the fraction of electrons reflected by a potential step can be calculated using the equation R=(\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^{2}. For a step up potential, the reflected electrons have a higher energy and therefore a smaller fraction is reflected. For a step down potential, the reflected electrons have a lower energy and therefore a larger fraction is reflected.
hectorzer

Homework Statement

What fraction of a beam of 8 eV electrons is reflected by a potential step up of height 6 eV? What fraction is reflected from a step down of 6eV?

Homework Equations

R=[itex](\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^{2}[/itex]

Exchange [itex]k_{1}[/itex] and [itex]k_{2}[/itex] for the step down potential.

[itex]k_{1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{h/2pi}[/itex]

[itex]k_{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{2m(E-U0)}}{h/2pi}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1/9 for the step up.

But I got the same for the step down potential, which I don't think is right. Am I doing anything wrong for the step down potential? Or should you get the same answer for the step down as for the step up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The fraction of electrons reflected by a potential step can be calculated using the equation R=(\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^{2}, where k_{1} and k_{2} are the wavevectors of the incident and reflected electrons, respectively. For a step up potential, the reflected electrons have a higher energy than the incident electrons, so k_{2} is larger than k_{1}. This results in a smaller fraction of reflected electrons, which you correctly calculated as 1/9.

For a step down potential, the reflected electrons have a lower energy than the incident electrons, so k_{2} is smaller than k_{1}. This should result in a larger fraction of reflected electrons. To calculate this fraction, you can substitute k_{1} and k_{2} into the equation and solve for R. The result should be larger than 1/9, indicating that more electrons are reflected from a step down potential compared to a step up potential.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the concept. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is a step up potential?

A step up potential is a sudden increase in electrical potential energy. This occurs when a positively charged particle moves from a region of lower potential to a region of higher potential.

What is a step down potential?

A step down potential is a sudden decrease in electrical potential energy. This occurs when a positively charged particle moves from a region of higher potential to a region of lower potential.

What causes step up and step down potentials?

Step up and step down potentials are caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons or ions, in an electric field. The direction and magnitude of the potential change depends on the direction and speed of the particle.

What is the difference between step up and step down potentials?

The main difference between step up and step down potentials is the direction in which they occur. Step up potentials involve an increase in potential energy, while step down potentials involve a decrease in potential energy.

What are the applications of step up and step down potentials?

Step up and step down potentials have various applications in electronics and power systems. These potentials are used to regulate the voltage levels in transformers, amplifiers, and other electrical devices. They are also used in particle accelerators and other scientific research equipment.