Stephen Hawking has Died - March 14th, 2018

In summary, Professor Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, leaving behind a legacy as one of the greatest physicists of all time.
Jupiter60 said:
It is sad that he never went to outer space. There were plans to send him to space.
E.g.
Professor Stephen Hawking Experiences the Freedom of Weightlessness During Historic Zero-Gravity Flight Out of Kennedy Space Center
Press Release From: Zero Gravity Corporation
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=22518

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed his book, A Brief History of Time. I also enjoyed the movie The Theory of Everything. Considering his disease, I will remember him as someone who showed that when there is a will, there is a way. But none of us lives forever. May he rest in peace.

Likes Stavros Kiri
DennisN said:
I enjoyed his book, A Brief History of Time. I also enjoyed the movie The Theory of Everything. Considering his disease, I will remember him as someone who showed that when there is a will, there is a way. But none of us lives forever. May he rest in peace.

I thought the Cumberbatch film was better, more physics than the other stuff (life). Roger Penrose features a litle more as does Fred Hoyle, Hawking challenges him on his steady state theory in a lecture because he worked through his paper before hand- they show his calculations/equations but they are way beyond me, this is where not really understanding what he did is annoying as one cannot get the full benefit of those parts.

Was he ever nominated for the Nobel? Anything he did worthy of a nomination? On black holes?

Likes Stavros Kiri
pinball1970 said:
I thought the Cumberbatch film was better, more physics than the other stuff (life).
Thanks, I did not know about that movie (Hawking), I am going to see it :smile:. And I am a big fan of Cumberbatch. (sidenote: another great physics movie is Particle Fever, IMO)

pinball1970 said:
Was he ever nominated for the Nobel?
Probably, but Nobel nominations are not public so you cannot know for sure.

Also, if he was nominated it would likely not have been considered. The Nobel committee typically wants to have firm evidence before awarding a theory prize and when it comes to things such as Hawking radiation it remains a widely accepted conjecture that so far has no experimental verification. There is a reason Higgs and Englert won the Nobel prize some four decades after their actual work.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Orodruin said:
Hawking radiation
Well, but in any case Hawking radiation is "his" anyway! ...

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
Thanks, I did not know about that movie (Hawking), I am going to see it :smile:. And I am a big fan of Cumberbatch. (sidenote: another great physics movie is Particle Fever, IMO)

Thanks that is one for me to watch, good physics movies are thin on the ground. Some good BBC documentaries though, horizon has done some great stuff on the LHC and there was the Hawking Paradox I cited in another post.
Cumberbatch also did the imitation game- brilliant
The one on Feynman is smooshy as hell (infinity) and the Manhattan Project film disappointing too (Fat man little boy)
Hawking has two great films made about him while he was alive! - not bad, a measure of his popular status

DennisN said:
My wife and I watched ToE last night and I'm wrecked emotionally.

Greg Bernhardt said:

This film seem to get a lot more publicity than "Hawking" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_(2004_film) which I think is more for you guys. Its not as glossy glitzy and I think is a TV movie rather than a "movie" movie but it has more science in it. Something to get your teeth into.

Stephen Hawking was like the Helen Keller for physically handicapped people.

OmCheeto said:
Darwin, Newton, and Hawking
walked into a church graveyard...

hmmm...

I've got nothin'.

A chill wind blew in with the entropy deprived group,
as the surrounding area increased in temperature,
and the ghosts of confusion fled.

Likes OmCheeto
RIP Dr. Hawking! I have seen him as a source of inspiration for years.

I think he is still scientifically underrated.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I hope you have recovered. :smile: I started to watch the movie "Hawking" today, but I decided to watch it later, because it was actually starting to make me sad.
pinball1970 said:
Cumberbatch also did the imitation game- brilliant
I agree. Great movie, great acting, just splendid! (a trailer is here for those lucky people who have not seen it yet)

DennisN said:
I hope you have recovered. :smile: I started to watch the movie "Hawking" today, but I decided to watch it later, because it was actually starting to make me sad.

Will watch be Hawking again I think, however its "Particle fever" for me this afternoon. Jon Butterworth did a talk on the LHC at Manchester Uni after the discovery of the Higgs, when he started talking I thought "Hang on, this chap sounds like a Manc." It turns out he went to a school round the corner from me. Very unassuming guy, the talk was great and tried my best to get my lad to apply to Manchester after it (Huge Hawking fan/admirer)

DennisN said:

I agree. Great movie, great acting, just splendid! (a trailer is here for those lucky people who have not seen it yet)

Really enjoyed particle Fever- cheers. Hawking made a voice appearence at the opening.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Really enjoyed particle Fever- cheers. Hawking made a voice appearence at the opening.

LHC opening party that is..

lekh2003 said:
Me too. Just recently a very influential bollywood actress also passed away, and my family was depressed. I feel just as depressed right now.

To the head honchos (@Greg Bernhardt ): Can we do something to memorialize his death? Like something on the PF logo, just for a week or so.
Bollywood actress - Hey did you mean Actress SriDevi.

Last edited by a moderator:
hyunxu said:
Bollywood actress - Hey did you mean Actress SriDevi.
As far as I understand, yes.

But let's keep that discussion aside.o0)

Wrichik Basu said:
As far as I understand, yes.

But let's keep that discussion aside.o0)
Yep

<h2>1. Who was Stephen Hawking?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist and cosmologist known for his groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe. He was also a bestselling author and a popular public figure.</p><h2>2. How did Stephen Hawking die?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking passed away on March 14th, 2018 at the age of 76. The cause of his death was due to complications from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a degenerative motor neuron disease that he was diagnosed with at the age of 21.</p><h2>3. What were Stephen Hawking's major contributions to science?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking's contributions to science were numerous and groundbreaking. He is best known for his work on black holes, including the discovery of Hawking radiation which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate. He also made significant contributions to our understanding of the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe.</p><h2>4. What impact did Stephen Hawking have on the scientific community?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking had a profound impact on the scientific community, not only through his groundbreaking research and discoveries, but also through his ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to the general public. He inspired countless scientists and students, and his work continues to influence and shape our understanding of the universe.</p><h2>5. What is Stephen Hawking's legacy?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking's legacy is one of scientific brilliance, perseverance, and inspiration. He will be remembered for his groundbreaking contributions to physics and cosmology, as well as his ability to inspire and educate people around the world. He will continue to be an iconic figure in the scientific community and beyond for generations to come.</p>

1. Who was Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist and cosmologist known for his groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe. He was also a bestselling author and a popular public figure.

2. How did Stephen Hawking die?

Stephen Hawking passed away on March 14th, 2018 at the age of 76. The cause of his death was due to complications from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a degenerative motor neuron disease that he was diagnosed with at the age of 21.

3. What were Stephen Hawking's major contributions to science?

Stephen Hawking's contributions to science were numerous and groundbreaking. He is best known for his work on black holes, including the discovery of Hawking radiation which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate. He also made significant contributions to our understanding of the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe.

4. What impact did Stephen Hawking have on the scientific community?

Stephen Hawking had a profound impact on the scientific community, not only through his groundbreaking research and discoveries, but also through his ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to the general public. He inspired countless scientists and students, and his work continues to influence and shape our understanding of the universe.

5. What is Stephen Hawking's legacy?

Stephen Hawking's legacy is one of scientific brilliance, perseverance, and inspiration. He will be remembered for his groundbreaking contributions to physics and cosmology, as well as his ability to inspire and educate people around the world. He will continue to be an iconic figure in the scientific community and beyond for generations to come.