Stephen Hawking predicted the future of mankind

In summary, Professor Stephen Hawking predicted that genetic modification could lead to the creation of superhumans who may pose a threat to the rest of humanity. His essays, published in the Sunday Times and in preparation for a book, explore the potential consequences of such technology. However, the idea of determining what is considered a "defective" gene or trait raises ethical concerns and brings to mind past ideologies. This is evident in the example of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis, which is widely accepted, but the idea of altering genes for traits like attractiveness or physical strength is unsettling. This concept is also reflected in the lyrics of a song about being a clone, where individuality and flaws are seen as unique and valuable.
Hawkingo
Well known scientist professor Stephen Hawking had predicted the possibility that genetic modification can give birth to superhumans that could destroy the rest of humanity. The essays, published in the Sunday Times, were written in preparation for a book that will be published on Tuesday. Read the full article below
https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.amp...edicted-new-race-of-superhumans-essays-reveal

Physics news on Phys.org
As a theoretical physicist, Hawking had few peers but as a sociologist/technologist predicting the future of mankind, not so much.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Hawkingo said:
Well known scientist professor Stephen Hawking had predicted the possibility that genetic modification can give birth to superhumans that could destroy the rest of humanity. The essays, published in the Sunday Times, were written in preparation for a book that will be published on Tuesday. Read the full article below
https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/14/stephen-hawking-predicted-new-race-of-superhumans-essays-reveal?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/14/stephen-hawking-predicted-new-race-of-superhumans-essays-reveal

Not a nice though to someone with asthma, average height/build and “normal” IQ

You can potentially splice out “defective” genes/ potentially disease causing genes but someone needs to decide what is and what is not defective.

IQ lower than 115? Males under 6 foot Tall? Person not beautiful? Face not symmetric enough? Cannot bench 2x body weight?

Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis (link) is no one would argue with “defects” such “not attractive” make me clench a little and reminds of ideologies past.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/genetics-and-stem-cells/gene-therapy-breakthrough-for-cystic-fibrosis/

Reminds of the below- pretty sure I have quoted this before so perhaps a similar topic has come up?

I am a clone, I am not alone
Every fibre of my flesh and bone
Is identical to the others
Everything I say is in the same tone
As my test tube brother's voice
There is no choice between us,
If you had ever seen us,
You'd rejoice in your uniqueness
And consider every weakness
Something special of your ownBeing a clone, I have no flaws to identify
Even this doggerel that pours from my pen,
Has just been written by
Oh, another twenty telepathic men,
Word for word, it says:
"Oh, for the wings of any bird,
Other than a battery hen."

1. What did Stephen Hawking predict about the future of mankind?

Stephen Hawking predicted that the future of mankind would be greatly impacted by advancements in technology, specifically in the fields of artificial intelligence and space exploration.

2. How accurate were Stephen Hawking's predictions?

It is difficult to determine the accuracy of Stephen Hawking's predictions, as they are based on scientific theories and projections. However, many of his predictions have already shown signs of coming true, such as the development of self-driving cars and the potential for colonization of other planets.

3. Did Stephen Hawking have any concerns about the future of mankind?

Yes, Stephen Hawking expressed concerns about the potential dangers of artificial intelligence and the potential for it to surpass human intelligence and control. He also warned about the negative impact of climate change on the future of humanity.

4. How did Stephen Hawking's predictions impact society?

Stephen Hawking's predictions sparked discussions and debates about the role of technology in our future and the potential consequences of its advancement. It also brought attention to the importance of addressing issues such as climate change and ethical considerations in the development of AI.

5. What can we learn from Stephen Hawking's predictions?

Stephen Hawking's predictions serve as a reminder that our actions and decisions today will greatly impact the future of mankind. It is important to consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of advancements in technology, as well as address pressing issues such as climate change to ensure a positive future for humanity.

Back