Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stephen Hawking

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    Hi All,

Is Stephen Hawking still able to communicate with the outside world or has he become totally incommunicado?

If he is able to communicate, is he still contributing to the field?

Thank you,
    Bob

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2
    His most recent publication was "The Classical Universes of the No-Boundary Quantum State " in 2008, so it's questionable whether he is still "actively" contributing to the field, but at least as recently as September of 2009 he was the Lucasian chair of mathematics at Cambridge (he has stepped down since then.) He gave a lecture at CERN in late 2009 on the spontaneous creation of the universe.

4. Jan 29, 2010 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He can certainly still communicate, but very slowly. He has a device that can track his eye movements, I think...you can probably look it up. I don't know if he still does a lot of active research...I think most of his important, calculation-heavy stuff was done much earlier, when he still had the use of his limbs.

He does give lectures, painstakingly written out beforehand. He can converse in real-time (albeit slowly), thanks to some sophisticated software using the eye-tracking. From what I understand, he has a lot of pre-written responses stored on his computer and can select which one he wants to say. Questions requiring more depth can be answered by writing out a new response.

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4
    Who is Stephen Howking ?
    I doubt his lecture is very boring
    edit: i asked so because i attended most lectures by old professors and none of them could made me laugh, their monotonous voice just vould nver wake me up especially if the previous nigt I hhad to watch stars movie or busy online learning how to do businesses

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook