Understanding Stephen William Hawking's Theories on Black Holes

• Thread starter killer120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary, The conversation is about the accessibility of Stephen William Hawking's theories about black holes. The person asking the question is an ordinary person who wants to understand black holes better. They mention seeing articles about black holes but not being able to understand them and hope someone can explain it to them on a fundamental level. They also mention Hawking's theories and ask if his books, A Brief History of Time and Universe in a Nutshell, are accessible to readers without a science background. The response is that they are written for a lay person and A Brief History of Time even provides an explanation of thermodynamics without assuming prior knowledge. One person shares their memory of Hawking discussing entropy and the arrow of time in the book.
killer120
i will like to know whether Stephen William Hawking's theories about the black hole...because i was a ordinary person who want to know what is black hole is about...because i see a lot of articles about black hole but none of it i can understand so i hope somebody here can help me out by explain black hole from the fundamental level to me..or by Stephen William Hawking's theories...

Physics news on Phys.org
Read A Brief History of Time and Universe in a Nutshell

Are those books accessible to readers without a science background?

Yes, they are written for a lay person.

A Brief History of Time actually provides a good first explanation into thermodynamics without presupposing any knowledge of physics, chemistry, or mathematics.

What an odd thing to say! I've read it several times and never thought it said much of anything about thermodynamics!

russ_watters said:
What an odd thing to say! I've read it several times and never thought it said much of anything about thermodynamics!

I could very well be going insane (or having poor memory, it's been years since my last read) but I seem to remember him describing entropy a good deal in the section about the arrow of time. There might be some other stuff about thermo in there but that was the part that stuck with me.

1. What are black holes and how do they form?

Black holes are regions in space with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from them. They are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How did Stephen Hawking contribute to our understanding of black holes?

Stephen Hawking's theories on black holes revolutionized our understanding of these objects. He proposed that black holes emit radiation, now known as Hawking radiation, and that they have a temperature and entropy. He also showed that black holes eventually evaporate and disappear.

3. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the boundary of a black hole beyond which no information or light can escape. It is the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

4. Can we observe black holes directly?

No, we cannot observe black holes directly as they absorb all light and electromagnetic radiation. However, we can observe their effects on the surrounding matter and light, which helps us understand their existence and properties.

5. How do black holes affect time and space?

Black holes have a strong gravitational pull, which warps space and time around them. This means that time moves slower near a black hole, and the laws of physics as we know them may not apply inside a black hole.