Is My Stepper Motor Wind Generator Output Too High?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a stepper motor as a wind-powered generator. The speaker connected resistors to one coil of the motor and measured the voltages while turning it with a drill. The calculated power (watts) was deemed too high and the speaker asks if they are missing something. They provide the voltage and load readings and suggest that the current may be reading the peak instead of the RMS value.
wmingin
Hello Wizards!

I'm trying to use a stepper motor as a wind powered generator.

I connected some resistors to one coil of the motor, and turned the motor with a drill,

while reading the voltages.

The power ( watts ) number I came up with seems too high.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Bill
[PLAIN]http://i62.tinypic.com/15mfr5z.jpg[/PLAIN]

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have 14.142 VAC across A1-A3.
You have a load of 21.6 ohm across A1-A3.
The current is therefore ( 14.142 volt / 21.6 ohm) = 0.6547 amp RMS
Power is ( 14.142 volt * 0.6547 amp ) = 9.26 watt

So where did you get your 10.1 amp from ?
Because a stepper motor produces pulses you may be reading the peak current.

[edited to fix equation]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. How does a stepper motor work as a generator?

A stepper motor works as a generator by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a permanent magnet rotor is rotated within a set of stationary stator windings, an electric current is induced in the windings. This current can then be used to power other devices or be stored for later use.

2. What are the advantages of using a stepper motor as a generator?

One advantage of using a stepper motor as a generator is its ability to produce a constant and stable voltage output, regardless of the speed of rotation. It is also a cost-effective option compared to traditional generators, as it does not require complex control systems or fuel. Additionally, stepper motors have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

3. What are the limitations of using a stepper motor as a generator?

One limitation of using a stepper motor as a generator is its lower power output compared to traditional generators. Stepper motors also require a minimum threshold of rotational speed to generate electricity, which may not be suitable for all applications. Furthermore, they may not be suitable for high power applications as they are limited by their size and design.

4. How efficient is a stepper motor as a generator?

The efficiency of a stepper motor as a generator can vary depending on the design and use case. However, in general, stepper motors have a high efficiency of around 85-95%, making them an energy-efficient option for generating electricity.

5. Can a stepper motor be used as a standalone power source?

Yes, a stepper motor can be used as a standalone power source, but it may not be suitable for all applications. As mentioned before, stepper motors have limitations in terms of power output and rotational speed, so they may not be able to meet the energy demands of certain devices. Additionally, they may require a battery or other energy storage system to provide a more consistent and stable power supply.