Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stepper Motor Control

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    To the viewer of this post,

I wish to create a device which can replicate a rotation at point A at point B. What I was thinking was using a stepper motor to replicate the rotation at point B through the use of a controller and have some sort of mechanical-to-digital device which could incode the rotation at point A. I also need this system to be able to operate at different speeds, so that the rotation at point A is replicated at point B.

What would I need for the mechanical-to-digital encoder? Could I use another stepper motor?
    What sort of controller would I need to use for the stepper motor to mimic the rotation at point A?

Many thanks for your advice and time,
    pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    PS: Not quite sure if it is the correct section of physics forums, if so sorry

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

EE is a good place to ask this. You would use a quadrature shaft encoder to help you read the motion of the control knob (like the encoders used in computer mice to read rotation). The easiest way to take that as input, and drive a stepper motor as outputs, is to use a microcontroller (uC) evaluation board. You can look into the "Basic Stamp" series, and also the PIC series of uCs by Microchip.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. Apr 15, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another good place to start is http://www.arduino.cc/
    It's cheaper and more capable than a stamp (there are also a lot of cheap clones)

The software is free and has a good community behind it, there are examples of stepper motor and PWM control

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe a different method would be to use a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo" [Broken]. Probably depends on what angles you need to duplicate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Apr 15, 2009 #6
    Thanks for all the replies. Basically I need to replicate a rotation of >180 degrees, so maybe even a servo might work. How would I go about controlling a servo? The same way as a stepper motor?

Thanks,
    pavadrin

8. Apr 15, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Normally a PWM, - easy to generate from most micros or you can build a little circuit with a 555 and a trigger

9. Apr 16, 2009 #8
    There are several ways for this.

10. Apr 16, 2009 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes indeed and here is a site with lots of info.
    http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/motorservo.htm" [Broken]

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. May 2, 2009 #10
    thanks, wealth of knowledge from this place is amazing

12. May 3, 2009 #11

vk6kro

Science Advisor

There used to be devices called SELSYN motors which did exactly this.

You just rotate one of them and the other one, connected by wires, rotates to the same position. They need an AC power supply for excitation.

They were used so that you could sit at a transmitter and see which way your directional antenna was pointing.

They were used in WW2 to see which way a gun was pointing from inside a tank.
    Apparently they are also used in the Panama Canal to tell if the gates are open or not.

No idea if you can still get them though. None on Ebay at present but a lot of hams would have them.

There is a good article in Wikipedia about them.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook