Stepper Motor Torque: Up to 1.5 Nm?

In summary, the conversation is about upgrading the RC Servo motor in a robotics application to a Brush DC Motor, Brushless DC Motor, or Stepper Motor. The speaker is looking for a small size stepper motor that can generate high torque of up to 1.5 Nm, and is also wondering if there is a gearhead available to boost the torque. They are also asking for website suggestions to find information on the specific stepper motor.
tommyjeremia
Hi,

currently I am working on robotics application.

I am using RC Servo motor (because of the size and the torque it can generate)

however we want to upgrade it either to Brush DC Motor, or Brushless DC Motor, or Stepper Motor.

I have been searching for Brush and Brushless, however I forget to check about stepper motor.

I would like to ask, is small size Stepper motor (arround 10 cm in length) is able to generate high torque up to 1.5 Nm? if it is not possible, is there any gearhead to boost the torque? (just like the brushless DC Motor)

Thanks,

Tommy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure if you look up the specific stepper you are thinking of using online you will find some specs...

any website that you can suggest? Thanks

1. What is stepper motor torque and why is it important?

Stepper motor torque refers to the amount of rotational force that a stepper motor can produce. It is important because it determines the motor's ability to move and control a load.

2. How is stepper motor torque measured?

Stepper motor torque is typically measured in units of Newton meters (Nm). This measurement is obtained by applying a known load to the motor's shaft and measuring the force required to rotate it.

3. What factors affect stepper motor torque?

The main factors that affect stepper motor torque include the motor's physical size, design, and construction. The number of stator poles, coil winding configuration, and drive current also play a role in determining the motor's torque output.

4. Can stepper motor torque be increased?

Yes, stepper motor torque can be increased by using a larger motor, optimizing the motor's design, or increasing the drive current. However, increasing the torque may also lead to a decrease in motor speed and accuracy.

5. What is the maximum torque that a stepper motor can produce?

The maximum torque that a stepper motor can produce varies depending on the motor's size and design. Generally, stepper motors can produce up to 1.5 Nm of torque, but some larger and more powerful motors can produce much higher torque outputs.