Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of trying to get from one equation to another in a classical mechanics textbook, but encountering a problem. The individual then shares the steps they took and points out where they are confused. The solution is provided, which involves using given information about the total mass M in the second equation.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My classical mechanics textbook (Symon) gives two equations. So I try to do the calculations that lead from one to the other but there's something that doesn't work. Tell me what I'm doing wrong please.

We start from

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^N (\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{F}^i_k - m_k(\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]

and want to get to

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^N (\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{F}^i_k - M(\mathbf{R}-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]

given

[tex]M\mathbf{R} = \sum_{k=1}^N m_k \mathbf{r}_k[/tex]

I'm not sure if the [itex]-M(\mathbf{R}-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/itex] term is included in the sum or not but in either case, it doesn't make sense to me.

Here are the steps I made:

[tex]=\sum_{k=1}^N (\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{F}^i_k -\sum_{k=1}^N m_k(\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]

Now let's work on the second sum; we should get [itex]M(\mathbf{R}-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex] (either with or without the sum sign before)

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^N m_k(\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k -\mathbf{r}_Q \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k -\sum_{k=1}^N \mathbf{r}_Q \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
=\left[ \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k - \sum_{k=1}^N \mathbf{r}_Q\right] \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]
[tex] = M\left[ \mathbf{R} - \sum_{k=1}^N \mathbf{r}_Q \right] \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]

And this is when it doesn't make sense because [itex]\sum_{k=1}^N \mathbf{r}_Q = N \mathbf{r}_Q[/itex] and there is no N in the final equation from the book. This is if the second term is NOT included in the sum. If it IS, then it doesn't make more sense because it would mean the second term is

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^N M( \mathbf{R} - \mathbf{r}_Q ) \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= M\left[ \sum_{k=1}^N\mathbf{R} - \sum_{k=1}^N \mathbf{r}_Q \right] \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k[/tex]

which isn't what we have either!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where am I wrong? It looks like I'm missing something very simple but I can't figure it out. Is there a rule I'm not aware of about sums and cross products? The answer is that you are forgetting to use the given information about the total mass M. In the first equation, the second term should be written as: \sum_{k=1}^N m_k(\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k = M(\mathbf{R}-\mathbf{r}_Q)\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k since M\mathbf{R} = \sum_{k=1}^N m_k \mathbf{r}_k

Based on the equations you provided, it looks like you are trying to derive the equations of motion for a system of particles, where \mathbf{r}_k is the position vector of the kth particle, \mathbf{F}^i_k is the sum of the external forces acting on the kth particle, and \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k is the acceleration of the kth particle. The first equation you provided is the sum of the torque exerted on the system by the external forces, while the second equation is the sum of the torque exerted on the system by the particles themselves.

The issue with your derivation is that you are not taking into account the fact that the position vector \mathbf{r}_k is measured from the center of mass of the system, \mathbf{R}, and not from some arbitrary point \mathbf{r}_Q. This is why there is a difference between the two equations and why the \mathbf{r}_Q term should not be included in the second sum.

To properly derive the second equation, you can use the fact that the center of mass is defined as \mathbf{R} = \frac{1}{M}\sum_{k=1}^N m_k \mathbf{r}_k, where M is the total mass of the system. Plugging this into the second sum, we get:

\sum_{k=1}^N m_k(\mathbf{r}_k-\mathbf{R})\times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k -\sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{R} \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k - M\mathbf{R} \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k
= \sum_{k=1}^N m_k\mathbf{r}_k \times \mathbf{\ddot{r}}_k - M\left(\frac{1}{M}\sum_{k=1}^N m

What is the definition of "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong"?

"Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" refers to a situation in a scientific experiment or process where the expected outcome or results do not occur due to errors or mistakes in the steps or procedures.

What are some common reasons why "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong"?

Some common reasons for "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" include human error, faulty equipment or materials, incorrect calculations, and unexpected external factors.

How can "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" be prevented?

To prevent "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong", it is important to carefully follow the established procedures and protocols, double-check calculations and measurements, regularly maintain and calibrate equipment, and anticipate potential external factors.

What are the consequences of "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong"?

The consequences of "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" can vary depending on the specific experiment or process. It can result in inaccurate data, wasted time and resources, and a delay in reaching research goals or conclusions.

How can "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" be addressed or corrected?

If "Steps btw 2 equ. goes wrong" does occur, it is important to identify the source of the error and make necessary corrections. This may involve repeating the steps, adjusting procedures, or seeking guidance from other scientists or experts.