1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stereochemistry and chirality

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    I really don't understand any of this. I already know the answers to these, but I don't know why they are chiral or achiral. Any help is appreciated.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/Paylardo/Chriality.jpg

The "HO" on the far left was cut off. It is just another hydroxyl group.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

do you understand the term 'meso'? Sometimes it helps to build models of the structures and their mirror image to see if they are superimposable.

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3
    I've built models, but when it comes to a test I'll need to be able to see that they can superimpose in more ways than one... I've seen meso further in the book where I'm studying, but other than that I know nothing about it. There is something about mirror planes and inversion centers that I understand a little bit, but I can't apply them to these.

5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    Derivation on angular acceleration

6. Oct 16, 2007 #5
    I know how to find stereocenters; would that help me?

7. Oct 19, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is where you start. Familiarity with models will help you visualize the structures (without models) during your test. This is common practice in undergrad organic chem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?