1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stereographic Projection of Circular Hodographs in Momentum 4-Space

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    Dear all,

I want to prove that a circular hodograph (planetary orbit in momentum 3-space) stereographically projects onto a great circle of a 3-sphere in momentum 4-space.

The equation for the hodograph is given by:
    \begin{equation}
    \left( \frac{mk}{L} \right)^2 = p_1'^2 + \left( p_2' - \frac{M}{L} \right)^2,
    \end{equation}
    with ## m ## the mass of the planet, ## L ## the angular momentum, ## M ## the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector, and ## p_1' ## and ## p_2' ## the components of the momentum vector ## \mathbf{p}' = \left( p_1', p_2', 0 \right) ##. The momentum vector ## \mathbf{p}' ## is seen to trace out a circle in momentum 3-space, centered at ## \left( 0, \frac{M}{L} \right) ## on the ## p_2' ##-axis and with radius ## \frac{mk}{L} ##. The hodograph intersects the ## p_1' ##-axis in two points at a distance denoted ## p_0 ##. The magnitude of ## p_0 ## can be determined by setting ## p_2' = 0 ## in the above equation, yielding:
    \begin{equation}
    p_0 = \sqrt{- 2mE},
    \end{equation}
    where I used the relation ## \mathbf{M}^2 = 2m \mathscr{H} \mathbf{L}^2 + m^2 k^2 ##.

I now want to stereographically project this curve on a 3-sphere ## \mathbb{S}^3 ## of radius ## p_0 ## in momentum 4-space ## \mathbb{R}^4 ##. That is:

Let ## \mathbb{S}^3 = \left\{ \mathbf{p} = \left( p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4 \right) \; | p_1^2 + p_2^2 + p_3^2 + p_4^2 = p_0^2 \right\} ## represent a hypersphere in momentum 4-space of radius ## p_0 ##, and let ## \hat{\mathbf{n}} = \left( 0, 0, 0, p_0 \right) \in \mathbb{R}^4 ## denote the north pole. Construct the 3-dimensional hyperplane ## \mathbb{R}^3 = \left\{ \left( p_1, p_2, p_3, 0 \right) \in \mathbb{R}^4 \right\} ##, which cuts the 3-sphere in half. The intersection ## \mathbb{R}^3 \cap \mathbb{S}^3 ## defines the equator of ## \mathbb{S}^3 ##. Given any point ## \mathbf{p} = \left( p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4 \right) \in \mathbb{S}^3 ##, other than the north pole ## \hat{\mathbf{n}} ##, there is a unique line connecting ## \mathbf{p} ## with ## \hat{\mathbf{n}} ## which intersects the equatorial hyperplane ## \mathbb{R}^3 ## at a point ## \mathbf{p}' = \left( p_1', p_2', p_3', 0 \right) ##. The inverse stereographic projection of ## \mathbb{S}^3 ## is then defined as the map:
    \begin{equation}
    \xi^{-1}: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{S}^3 \backslash \{ \hat{\mathbf{n}} \}: \mathbf{p}' \mapsto \mathbf{p},
    \end{equation}
    with ## \mathbf{p} ## the inverse projection of ## \mathbf{p}' ##, given by the formulae:
    \begin{equation}
    p_1 = p_0 \frac{2 p_0 p_1'}{p_0^2 + p\,'^{\,2}} \quad ; \quad p_2 = p_0 \frac{2 p_0 p_2'}{p_0^2 + p\,'^{\,2}} \quad ; \quad p_3 = p_0 \frac{2 p_0 p_3'}{p_0^2 + p\,'^{\,2}} \quad ; \quad p_4 = p_0 \frac{p\,'^{\,2} - p_0^2}{p\,'^{\,2} + p_0^2}.
    \end{equation}
    Could someone help me with finding an elegant proof for the fact that the hodograph in the first equation maps onto a great circle ?

Thank you so much in advance !

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted