Stereographic Projection

In summary: Additionally, in solution (1), you are using a different formula for g^{-1} compared to the one given in the textbook. This may be the reason for the discrepancy in your solution.
Mathman23
Hi there,

Look at the topic from my textbook "Stereographic Projection". Please inform me if I have understood it correctly :)

Lets take specific example from my textbook [tex]S' = \{(x,y,z)|x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1\}[/tex] is a sphere where [tex]N = (0,0,2)[/tex] and [tex]P = (x,y,z)[/tex] can be viewed as steographic projection [tex]g: \sim\{N \} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/tex] which carries a point of the sphere S' minus the North Pole N onto the intersection of line from N to p with the xy-plane. Then [tex]g(x,y,z) = (u,v)[/tex] and [tex](x,y,z) \in S' \sim \{N\}[/tex] and finally [tex](u,v) \in \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex].

(1) show that [tex]g^{-1}: \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow S' [/tex] is [tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}x\\y\\z\end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}\frac{2(u^2 + v^2)}{u^2 + v^2 +4} \\\\ \frac{2u}{u^2 + v^2 +4} \\\\ \frac{2v}{u^2 + v^2 +4} \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Solution (1):

If I write S' in terms of u and v I get

[tex]u^2 + v^2 = \frac{z}{2-z}[/tex]

then [tex]z = \frac{2(u^2 + v^2)}{u^2 + v^2 +1}[/tex]

where its possible to see [tex]2-z = \frac{2}{u^2 + v^2 +1}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]x = \frac{2u}{u^2 + v^2 +1}[/tex]

and

[tex]y = \frac{2v}{u^2 + v^2 +1}[/tex]

p.s. I treat [tex]g(x,y,z) = \left\{\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{x + iy}{2-z} \ \ \mathrm{if \ z \neq 2} \\ \infty \ \ \mathrm{if \ z=2} \end{array}[/tex]

and that [tex]g: S' \rightarrow \mathbb{C}^*[/tex] is a unique plane which containes (0,0,1) and (0,0,2) and (x,y,z). Futhermore [tex]g(x,y,z) = u + iv[/tex]

This is true is [tex]g^{-1}(u+iv) = (\frac{2u}{u^2 + v^2 +1})^2 + (\frac{2v}{u^2 + v^2 +1})^2 + ((\frac{2(u^2 + v^2)}{u^2 + v^2 +1})-1)^2=1[/tex]

How can this solution be true, since the textbook claims that

[tex](x,y,z) = g^{-1} = \begin{array}{ccc}\(\frac{2u}{u^2 + v^2 +4}, \frac{2v}{u^2 + v^2 +4},\frac{2(u^2 + v^2)}{u^2 + v^2 +4})\end{array} \)[/tex] ??

[tex]\mathbb{C}^* = \mathbb{C} \cup \{\infty\}[/tex] is a Riemann Sphere. Then the stereographic projection from S' to [tex]\mathbb{C}^{*}[/tex] is defined by setting g(x,y,z) equal to the point where the line from (x,y,z) to (0,0,2) intersects with the plan z=0. This is defined for all points on S' except (0,0,2).

2) I am then told to show that sphere S' can be covered by two coordinant neighborhoods. I have an idear on howto show this: If their exist a Coordinant neighborhood around the Northpole and Southpole of S', then if their respective domains intersect, then the sphere is covered by these two coordinant neighborhoods? Aren't they?

Best Regards

Fred

p.s. Could somebody here please inform me what I am doing wrong here in 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution (2): Yes, you are correct that the sphere S' can be covered by two coordinate neighborhoods. If a coordinate neighborhood is defined around the North pole and South pole of S', then the intersection of their respective domains will cover the entire sphere. However, in order to prove this, you will need to show that the intersection of the two coordinate neighborhoods covers all points on the sphere S'. You can do this by showing that all points on the sphere can be expressed in terms of the two coordinate neighborhoods.

1. What is stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is a method of representing a three-dimensional object or surface on a two-dimensional plane. It involves projecting points on a sphere onto a plane tangent to the sphere at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is often used in cartography and engineering to represent complex three-dimensional shapes or surfaces on a flat map or drawing. It can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic 3D effects.

3. How does stereographic projection work?

To perform a stereographic projection, a sphere is placed on a plane, with the desired point of projection at the center of the sphere. Rays are then drawn from each point on the sphere to the point of projection, and where these rays intersect the plane is marked as the projected point.

4. What are the advantages of stereographic projection?

One of the main advantages of stereographic projection is that it preserves angles and shapes, making it useful for accurately representing objects or surfaces. It also allows for easy measurement and calculation of distances and angles on the projected image.

5. Are there any limitations to stereographic projection?

While stereographic projection is useful for many applications, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for representing large areas, as distortion increases towards the edges of the projection. It also cannot accurately represent objects with extreme curvature or complex shapes.