1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stereoisomer: 2-methyl-2-pentene

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The compound 2-methyl-2-pentene:

Select one:
    a. has no structural or geometric isomers
    b. has 2 structural alkene isomers, each of which has an E isomer and a Z isomer form.
    c. has 5 structural isomers
    d. has 3 structural isomers
    e. exists as E and Z isomers

3. The attempt at a solution

So the wording of this question confuses me a bit, I took that when it said the compound 2-methyl-2-pentene it was just talking about c6h12 - if this is not the case and I've understood it horribly wrong please inform me :)

So straight away I cross out A just because it's obvious that at least 1 structural isomer exists. I then eliminate C and D because there are more than 5 structural isomers. I then cross out B because there are more than 2 alkene isomers 1/2/3-hexene eg. So I guess I would go with E as my answer. I know it's an easy question but I always overthink them and end up getting them wrong so this is more to help me understand the question and clear up any misconceptions I may have. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

E is definitely not a correct answer, draw the molecule - does it have E, Z isomers?

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    Damn you're 100% right! I had that originally but then I started to think of the question as talking about all C6H12 molecules. I'm a but confused as what constitutes an isomer in relation to this question - I assume it's not talking about all C6H12 isomers so does that mean it's only taking about the location of the double bond and methyl group? Is it C then? It seems to have a large number of structural isomers to me.

5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

TBH, I am not sure what the correct answer is - I don't have time to investigate, and just intuition is not enough. To me it looks like it talks about all C6H12 molecules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted