Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stereoisomerism problem

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    How many stereocenter containing isomers of c5h10 are there where the molecule must contain one ring?

I identified the cis and trans forms of 1,2-dimethylcyclopropane, but I think my TA said there was one more form containing a cyclopropane ring.... but I can't remember for sure. Is C1 on 1,1-dimethylcyclopropane a stereocenter? It doesn't seem to have four different substituents.

So confusing.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Gold Member

You're right that the C1 on 1,1-dimethylcyclopropane doesn't have four different substituents.

I can't seem to think of any other C5H10 cyclic molecules that would have a stereocenter.

The isomers of C5H10 with rings I can think of would be cyclopentane, methylcyclobutane, 1,1-dimethylcyclopropane, 1,2-dimethylcyclopropane, and ethylcyclopropane. The only ones with stereocenters are the isomers of 1,2-dimethylcyclopropane as you mentioned.
  4. May 21, 2006 #3
    Hey, I got it.

There are cis and trans versions of 1,2-dimethylcyclopropane. But, within the trans isomer, there are also (S) and (R) enantiomers that are nonsuperimposable (by definition).

Hopefully I will remember all of this on the midterm
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?