Stereotyping and why women avoid geeks

• Thread starter matt_chosen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, women avoid geeks because they find them unattractive, and most geeks find women unattractive as well.
matt_chosen
why is it that women avoid geeks yet most women look for the more understanding men yett a large # of people who have a love of technology or games are more understanding people are women that much of a paradox

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says that a large amount of people who have a passion (don't use the word 'love') for technology understand women better? I have never heard of this. Perhaps this is your own asumption.

I would however, agree that women do avoid geeks. Before i became a computer geek i had lots of girlfriends. My relationships have exponentially decreased since. ;)

not sure how this topic is philosophical? is this about stereotyping in general? and to answer your question about the reason why this might be happening is:
GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND BE ROMANTIC!

People have characteristics about them that make them who they are individually. Some guy who I have a mutual attraction with, just has some characteristics that I desire. You know, he might have a nice physical apperance so he focuses on working out every day, going to a tanning salon, just for example. Where as someone who I am less attracted to, might have more qualities that I desire, but since appearance is such a breaking point, it's hard to find people based on the guy's personality that I have not had enough time to get to know. In my experience, men who have chosen to focus on other aspects in life, college, career, etc, don't have the attractiveness that I would originally desire. However, over time they become more attractive because with those men I have had better luck achieving what I actually desire. This differs for men who I am originally physically attracted to. Men who have the physical qualities that I 100% desire, might not have the core qualities that I desire.

My feeling on it is to try to decide who a guy is by his personality, accomplishments, stability etc, and then decide if he has the other matching characteristics that I want.

I don't like saying this because it always makes people think that appearance doesn't matter to me. As long as there is attraction, I try to look at it like appearance can change some, if the person really wants to change -- so if possible, I try to base it less on appearance. But then threes the whole, you can't make someone change --

I don't think that women intentionally ignore geeks, or intentionally go for them, a lot of them just don't analyze it half as much as I might. =)
Anyway, this topic could go on forever.

1. What is stereotyping?

Stereotyping is the process of making assumptions about individuals or groups based on their perceived characteristics or traits. It often involves oversimplifying and generalizing, and can be harmful and inaccurate.

2. Why do women avoid geeks?

There is no definitive answer to this question as every individual has their own preferences and reasons. However, some possible reasons could be societal pressure and stereotypes that portray geeks as socially awkward or unattractive, lack of exposure or interest in geek culture, or the fear of not fitting in with a predominantly male-dominated community.

3. How does stereotyping affect women in the tech and science fields?

Stereotyping can create a hostile environment for women in the tech and science fields, leading to feelings of isolation, imposter syndrome, and a lack of confidence. It can also result in biased hiring practices, unequal pay, and limited opportunities for advancement.

4. Can women also stereotype geeks?

Yes, anyone can stereotype based on their own biases and perceptions. Women may also internalize societal stereotypes and hold negative views towards geeks, which can contribute to the avoidance of this group.

5. How can we combat stereotyping and encourage diversity in STEM fields?

One way to combat stereotyping is through education and awareness. This includes challenging and debunking stereotypes, promoting diversity and inclusion, and providing equal opportunities for all individuals. It is also important to address any systemic issues and biases in the industry and actively work towards creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for everyone.