Sterling approximation, multiplicity, and two-state paramagnet

For part (c), we can use the fact that the multiplicity is sharply peaked around N_up = N/2 to approximate the width of the peak. This means that the value of N_up where the multiplicity starts to significantly deviate from the maximum should be at a distance of about +/- sqrt(N) from N/2. Therefore, the width of the peak is approximately 2sqrt(N).
Ecoi

Homework Statement

For a single large two-state paramagnet, the multiplicity function is very sharply peaked about [tex]N_{\uparrow} = N/2[/tex].

(a) Use Stirling's approximation to estimate the height of the peak in the multiplicity function. (I am fairly confident in my answer here)

(b) Use the methods of this section to derive a formula for the multiplicity function in the vicinity of the peak, in terms of [tex]x \equiv N_{\uparrow} - (N/2)[/tex]. Check that your formula agrees with your answer to part (a) when x = 0.

(c) How wide is the peak in the multiplicity function?

(d) I should be okay on this part.

(My professor said to not do b, but c seems impossible to me without having to do b first.)

Book: Thermal Physics, Danial Schroeder - Chapter 2, section 4.

----------------------------------

Homework Equations

Multiplicity: [tex]\Omega = \frac{N!}{N_{\uparrow}! N_{\downarrow}!}[/tex]

Displaying wrong?
(or... omega = N! / [(Nup)! (Ndown)!]

Displaying wrong?
Sterling approximation: [tex]N! = {N^N}{e^(-N)}{\sqrt{2N \pi} }[/tex]

(or... N! = (N^N)(e^-N)(sqrt 2piN)***I had a heck of a time getting the formulas on here. I would type something and it would pop up as "[tex]\Omega = \frac {N_{\uparrow}!}{N_{\downarrow}!}[/tex]" whatever I typed in. Sorry for not all of them being in latex format. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

*Edit: If the formulas display incorrectly, I typed them out explicitly what they should be... If someone knows what I'm doing incorrectly on the latex code, it would help me to see what (I am not that used to it yet).

----------------------------------

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I got:

[tex]N_{\uparrow} = N/2[/tex]

so... using the sterling approximation I obtain

Multiplicity (1/2) = [tex]\frac{2^{(2N + 1)/2}}{\sqrt{\pi N}}[/tex]

(or... multiplicity (1/2) = 2 ^ [(2N + 1) / 2] / (sqrt pi N)

I am fairly confident about this, I was wondering whether or not to neglect the 1 in the 2N + 1 or not. I figured I would see if it was required later and drop it if it is convenient to later.For part (c) (since part b wasn't required), I tried to think of approximating it using a rectangle, but that would be a very rough approximation. I don't really see how we are suppose to do part (c) without (b).I'm also a little confused on part (b) if I do have to do it to do part (c). What I have to do is derive a formula for the multiplicity near the peak. This would seem fairly straightforward, but I really don't see any formulas close to what was done in the book. The book derived the expression for two large Einstein solids. However, the author assumed q << N. In this example, however, I can't say N(up) or N(down) << N.

There's a formula for N(down) << N that is: multiplicity = [ Ne / N(down)] ^ N(down), but I see no reason to assume N(down) << N. These are really the only formulas I see for a two-state paramagnet.

If I don't need to do part (b) for (c), then help on that would be great. But it seems to me that I need part (b) for (c). I am pretty sure I could do part (c) if I knew how to do part (b) though. (Because it should be the maximum multiplicity and have some term multiplied by it.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For part (b), you can use the binomial theorem to expand the multiplicity function in terms of x = N_up - (N/2).

\Omega = \frac{N!}{N_{\uparrow}! N_{\downarrow}!} = \frac{N!}{(N/2 + x)!(N/2 - x)!}

Using Stirling's approximation for N!, we have:

\Omega \approx \frac{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}+x\right)^{\frac{N}{2}+x} e^{-(\frac{N}{2}+x)}\left(\frac{N}{2}-x\right)^{\frac{N}{2}-x} e^{-(\frac{N}{2}-x)}}

Simplifying, we get:

\Omega \approx \frac{2^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N} (1+\frac{2x}{N})^{\frac{N}{2}+x} (1-\frac{2x}{N})^{\frac{N}{2}-x}}

Using the fact that (1+x)^n \approx 1+nx for small values of x, we can further simplify:

\Omega \approx \frac{2^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N} (1+\frac{2}{N}(N/2)x) (1-\frac{2}{N}(N/2)x)}

\Omega \approx \frac{2^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N} (1+x)(1-x)}

\Omega \approx \frac{2^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N} (1-x^2)}

\Omega \approx \frac{2^N e^{-N}}{\left(\frac{N}{2}\right)^N e^{-N}} \frac{1}{(1-x^2)}

\Omega \approx 2^N \frac{1}{(1-x^2)}

This is the formula for the multiplicity function near the peak, in terms of x. When x =

1. What is the Sterling approximation?

The Sterling approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of factorial of a large number. It is based on the asymptotic expansion of the gamma function.

2. What is multiplicity in physics?

In physics, multiplicity refers to the number of distinct states or possibilities of a system. It is often used in statistical mechanics to describe the number of ways a system can be arranged or distributed among its constituent particles.

3. What is a two-state paramagnet?

A two-state paramagnet is a type of paramagnetic material that has only two possible states of spin alignment for its electrons. In this model, the material is either fully magnetized or has no magnetization at all, with no in-between states.

4. How is Sterling approximation used in physics?

Sterling approximation is used in physics to simplify calculations involving large numbers, such as in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. It allows for faster and easier computation of values such as entropy, partition functions, and energy levels.

5. What are some applications of multiplicity in physics?

Multiplicity is used in various fields of physics, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate thermodynamic properties of systems, describe the distribution of particles in a gas, and determine the degeneracy of energy levels in quantum systems.