Sterling hybrid car, will it work?

• Thread starter mark1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Work
In summary, the HZ-14 module is a peltier device that can generate electricity from the heat in the exhaust stream of a car. It is not a sterling engine.
mark1
What do you all think about the following idea?

A hybrid car could be built using a regular internal combustion engine, with a few small sterling engines connected to a battery resting on top of it. The car will start running on the internal combustion engine, and as it is running the heat from the engine will power the sterlings, which, through an electric motor (or generator) will charge the battery. When the battery is fully charged, the car will run on the battery's power. When the battery is depleted, the car will run on the internal combustion engine, and the battery will be recharged.

Is this feasable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Increasing efficiency of internal combustion engines by tapping waste heat

mark1 said:
A hybrid car could be built using a regular internal combustion engine, with a few small sterling engines connected to a battery resting on top of it... the heat from the engine will power the sterlings, which ... will charge the battery.
Done:
http://www.hi-z.com/websit07.htm [Broken]

• Hi-Z has built a 1kW generator to utilize the waste heat of the engine of a class 8 diesel truck. This thermoelectric generator can be employed as a substitute for the truck engine alternator. Power to the driveshaft increases by three to five horsepower, which increases fuel efficiency and reduces emissions.

Seventy-two HZ-14 modules generate electric power from the heat in the exhaust stream. The generator is located in the exhaust gas line after the engine turbocharger. Heat from the cold side of the thermoelectric generator is removed by circulating water to a standard automotive radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this "thermoelectric generator" a sterling engine? If there are no other engines that are powered by heat, obviously it must be a sterling. But is this so?

No, its a peltier device - its a semiconductor device that converts heat energy directly into electrical energy, similar to the way a thermocouple thermometer works. Click the link for the "HZ-14 module."

edit: I've been wondering about the economics of peltiers as generators. I've never seen a generator of this type except for the RTGs in space probes, and I assumed it must be due to cost. But I recently bought a 40mm square one for $5, and it can produce on the order of 100w of electricity. At 100w, $5 gives you about 400 hours from the grid - figure about a month of daylight. And I have to assume that $5 is a super-high price based on super-low production, because these things aren't something you can buy at WallMart.

edit: maybe I'm wrong about the capabilities. I need to look into this further...

Last edited:

1. Will the Sterling hybrid car be more fuel-efficient than traditional cars?

Yes, the Sterling hybrid car is designed to be more fuel-efficient by using a combination of a gasoline engine and an electric motor. This allows it to consume less fuel and emit fewer greenhouse gases.

2. How does the hybrid technology in the Sterling car work?

The Sterling hybrid car uses a technology called "parallel hybrid" where both the gasoline engine and the electric motor work together to power the car. The car can switch between using the gasoline engine, the electric motor, or a combination of both depending on the driving conditions.

3. Is the Sterling hybrid car more expensive than traditional cars?

Initially, the cost of the Sterling hybrid car may be higher due to the advanced technology used. However, in the long run, the savings on fuel costs may offset the initial cost.

4. Are there any disadvantages to owning a Sterling hybrid car?

One potential disadvantage is that the battery of the electric motor may need to be replaced after a certain number of years, which can be costly. Additionally, the technology used in hybrid cars may require specialized maintenance and repairs.

5. Can the Sterling hybrid car be charged at home?

Yes, the Sterling hybrid car can be charged at home using a standard electrical outlet or a dedicated charging station. The car also has a regenerative braking system, which helps to recharge the battery while driving.