How Does Spin Orientation Affect Beam Intensity in a Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

In summary, to calculate the intensity of the transmitted beam(s) for a beam of spin-(1/2) particles passed through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, one must first compute the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian and determine the ground state. Then, use the intensity formula I = N * P * A, where N = 1, P is the square of the absolute value of the projection of the ground state, and A is the area of the beam. Further examples and helpful pointers may be found online.
Rory9

Homework Statement

Consider a beam of spin-(1/2) particles passed through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus (+ve z orientation).

The particles are in the ground-state of the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \frac{g\mu_{B}\hbar}{2} \left( ^{B_{z}}_{ B_{x} + iB_{y} }^{ B_{x} - iB_{y}}_{ - B_{z} } \right)[/tex]

and therefore aligned with the field B. For an incident beam intensity of 1, calculate the intensity of the transmitted beam(s).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure what to do with this. I can compute the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian (Bz + B,Bx + iBy) & (Bz - B,Bx + iBy), and deduce the ground state from the one whose eigenvalues gives the lowest energy (I presume), but what then?

I'd very much appreciate some helpful pointers! Thanks in advance.

(Also, perhaps there are some relevant examples somewhere online for this sort of problem?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with computing the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian. Once you have determined the ground state, you can use the intensity formula for a beam of particles to calculate the intensity of the transmitted beam(s). This formula is given by:

I = N * P * A

Where:
I = Intensity
N = Number of particles
P = Probability of particles being transmitted
A = Area of the beam

In this case, N = 1, since the incident beam has an intensity of 1. P can be calculated by taking the square of the absolute value of the projection of the ground state onto the eigenvector corresponding to the transmitted beam. Finally, A can be calculated using the dimensions of the Stern-Gerlach apparatus.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment and why is it confusing?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a thought experiment that involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field. It is confusing because it seems to contradict classical physics, as the particles are deflected in a discrete manner instead of a continuous one.

2. What does the Stern-Gerlach experiment reveal about the nature of particles?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment revealed that particles have an intrinsic property called spin, which causes them to behave like tiny magnets. This property is responsible for the discrete deflection observed in the experiment.

3. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment support the principles of quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is one of the key experiments that support the principles of quantum mechanics. It demonstrates the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level, and how their behavior cannot be fully predicted or explained by classical physics.

4. Can the Stern-Gerlach experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the Stern-Gerlach experiment cannot be fully explained by classical physics. While classical physics can provide a general framework for understanding the experiment, it fails to explain the discrete deflection of particles and the concept of spin.

5. How has the Stern-Gerlach experiment impacted our understanding of the universe?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics. It also paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of quantum mechanics, which has revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.