Stern–Gerlach experiment?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If I shoot a beam of neutrons into a non-uniform E field will they get deflected because of their spin or do we need a B field.

Answers and Replies

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A B field is needed.
There could be a small effect in an E field which could polarize the neutron, like the deflection of a neutral molecule in an E field. I think this is so small it has never been seen experimentally, and would not depend on spin.

DrDu
Science Advisor
Similar effects depending on spin are at least observed for electrons moving in electric field gradients (very hype now under the name spintronics), so I would assume that they are also present in neutrons.

A B field is needed.
There could be a small effect in an E field which could polarize the neutron, like the deflection of a neutral molecule in an E field. I think this is so small it has never been seen experimentally, and would not depend on spin.
What do you mean by polarize a neutron? And could we bring relativity into the mix, where we had a line charge in one frame at rest, no current. But then we had a neutron moving down the wire and a second observer moving in the other way so he sees a current and a B field. Would this observer witness a deflection based upon the spin of the Neutron?

SpectraCat
Science Advisor
If I shoot a beam of neutrons into a non-uniform E field will they get deflected because of their spin or do we need a B field.
You actually need a B-field *gradient* to generate a force on the magnetic dipoles, so your field needs to be inhomogeneous, like in the SG experiment.

[EDIT: I am not sure about the inhomogeneous E-field ... It seems that a neutron moving through an inhomogeneous E-field should experience a weak B-field interaction as well, but I am not completely certain that is correct. Whether or not the B-field (if any) experienced by a neutron in such a case is large enough to observe a measurable deflection is yet another question.]

Last edited:
SpectraCat
Science Advisor
A B field is needed.
Again, neutral molecules are not deflected by E-fields, but by E-field gradients. The angular momentum of a dipolar molecule will be perturbed by a homogeneous E-field, and in the strong field limit the dipole will align along the field direction. However you need a field-gradient to change its momentum.

A particle moving in an E-field feels a B-field in its rest frame, so there should be an observable effect.

interesting thanks for your answers. Does a particle having spin imply it has a magnetic moment? Or when the particle gets deflected in a non-uniform B-field, is this because it has spin or a magnetic moment?

DrDu
Science Advisor
thanks for the link I will start reading it.