Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Stern Gerlach Experiment

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    I just started reading Stern Gerlach Experiment and this thought crossed my mind. Totally a hypothetical question. If I pass an electron and positron through separate SG apparatuses, I will know in which spin state each particle has collapsed. But afterwords I let electron-positron pair annihilate to produce 2 photons. I let these photon Interact with each other and again produce an electron-positron pair. So, if I again check the spin state of these particles separately, in the same direction as before, will I get the same result or is it again completely random?

P.S. I am just a school student trying to learn something difficult for me to understand. So please spare my ignorance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. The sequence of operations you describe will conserve the total spin, but it will not conserve the individual spins of the particles.

4. Apr 8, 2017 #3
    Oh Okay. So there is no known correlation between photon polarization and spin of electron-positron pair in case of pair production?

5. Apr 8, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Not for the individual particles. As I said, only the total spin is conserved.

6. Apr 8, 2017 #5
    Okay thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted