Are Stern-Gerlach Filters Modeled by Hermitian Operators in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, filters in quantum mechanics are not modeled by Hermitian operators and can be thought of as operators that act on state vectors, but they are not equal to their own adjoint.
Ray
Can anyone help me with this simple question based on Feynman's Vol 3? Suppose I have a sequence of filters designed to show the suprising result that extra filters allow previously blocked photons, polarised light, spin one and spin one half particles etc. to get through. Then matrix multiplication models the sequential measurements, BUT ARE THE FILTERS THEMSELVES MODELLED BY HERMITIAN OPERATORS IN MATRIX FORM? As far as I can tell Feynman deals with a change of basis matrix which is orthogonal and not Hermitian. I have only a rudimentary knowledge of QM so the question isn't meant to be difficult, I just want to know if a filter rotated through an angle is a Hermitian operator and if it is what is its base dependent form.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks A:The answer to your question is no. A filter is not a Hermitian operator in the quantum mechanical sense. A Hermitian operator is an operator which is equal to its own adjoint (the complex conjugate of the transpose). Filters are typically just pieces of polarising material that lets through certain polarisations and blocks others. They can be thought of as an operator which acts on a state vector, but they are not Hermitian operators.

1. What is a Stern-Gerlach Filter and how does it work?

A Stern-Gerlach Filter is a device used to separate particles based on their magnetic moment. It works by passing a beam of particles through a non-uniform magnetic field, which causes the particles to deflect in different directions depending on their magnetic moment.

2. What types of particles can be filtered using a Stern-Gerlach Filter?

Stern-Gerlach Filters are commonly used to filter electrons, protons, and other subatomic particles with non-zero magnetic moments. However, they can also be used to filter neutral particles such as neutrons by first converting them into charged particles.

3. What is the significance of Stern-Gerlach Filters in quantum mechanics?

Stern-Gerlach Filters played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, as they provided experimental evidence for the existence of electron spin. They also demonstrated the quantization of angular momentum and helped disprove the classical theory of continuous energy levels.

4. Can Stern-Gerlach Filters be used for other purposes besides particle filtering?

Yes, Stern-Gerlach Filters have also been used for other purposes such as measuring magnetic moments and studying the properties of particles. They have also been used in experiments to test the principles of quantum entanglement.

5. Are Stern-Gerlach Filters still used in modern research?

Yes, Stern-Gerlach Filters are still used in modern research as they provide a simple and precise way to measure the magnetic moment of particles. They are also used in experiments to study quantum interference and superposition, as well as in the development of quantum computing technologies.